Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to revamp old benchseat?

chloet1
Growing in Experience

How to revamp old benchseat?

Hi there,

I was just wondering if anyone would have any ideas/tips on how to revamp and make this garden bench seat safer :smile:

Thanks!IMG_3522.pngIMG_3523.pngIMG_3524.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to revamp old benchseat?

Hi @chloet1

Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your question about revamping an old bench seat.

This seat just needs a little TLC and it will be as good as new. I suggest getting some WD-40 275g Lubricant with Smart Straw and spraying the screws that are holding the seat panels in place. Give the lubricant a few minutes to penetrate the old screws, then remove them and keep them together in a small container. Inspect each piece of timber for strength and rigidity. If it looks like it has rotted through it needs to be replaced. However, if it looks like it is in good condition put it aside for sanding.

I recommend using the Ozito 200W Detail Sander to sand the timber panels thoroughly. I suggest using the Flexovit 100mm x 1m 240 Grit Painted Surface Sandpaper Roll to sand out the screw holes. The steel frame looks to be in good condition. Sand the steel frame and then brush it clean with soap and water. This will remove all the grease and dirt that has accumulated on the steel.

To prime the steel frame, spray it with Dulux 300g Metalshield Etch Primer Spraypak Light Grey. I suggest spraying the steel frame with Metal Paint in your preferred colour. Once you've painted the steel frame, paint the timber panels in Taubmans Low Sheen White Sunproof Exterior Paint - 1L White tinted to your favorite colour. Inspect the screws for rust and usability, if they are too rusted replace them with an equivalent-sized screw. Make sure that the paint is totally dry before reassembling the seat.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
chloet1
Growing in Experience

Re: How to revamp old benchseat?

Hi Eric,

Thank you so much for your in detail reply :smile: I will have a look into those things.

Thanks again :smile: 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects