Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to revive a Jarrah screen?

joyoung
Just Starting Out

How to revive a Jarrah screen?

G-day,

I built a timber screen for the pool area last year however as you can see below it's a little worse for wear after the wet winter we have had here in Perth. I was hoping for a few suggestions on what I can do to bring it back to it's best:

- Is the easiest way to remove the stain from the nails (in hindsight I would have just screws, the nail gun was handy as the neighbour has a compressor and a hose long enough that I can throw it over the fence), pressure washing didn't have a difference and I am worried that i'll need to sand it.

- Suggested stain in order to bring back the natural jarrah hue

Thanks in advance!

Post installPost installPost winterPost winter

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to revive a Jarrah screen?

Hello @joyoung

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining us and sharing your question about how to revive a Jarrah screen.

I suggest using the Intergrain 1L UltraPrep Timber Cleaner to clean and revive the timber. I recommend brushing the rust stains with a Sabco Handled Scrub Brush. If the rust stains have gone deep into the pores of the timber you might have to sand it to get rid of the stains. If the timber colour returns using the UltraPrep, I suggest using Cabot's 4L Natural Decking Oil. Please test the oil in a small area to see if the finish is satisfactory before committing to the entire screen.

However, if the timber does not regain its natural colour, I suggest using Cabot's Jarrah Aquadeck Exterior Decking Oil - 4L. Again, I propose testing the Aquadeck in a small area to see if the finish is agreeable with you. Even though the screen is only one year old, the weather has harmed the state of the timber. I recommend putting an extra coat on the screen every six months to preserve its finish. 

Let me tag our experienced members @TedBear and @woodalwaysworks for their recommendations.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects