Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to rid sand wasps and milkweed bugs from yard?

FlancyJay
Growing in Experience

How to rid sand wasps and milkweed bugs from yard?

Hello wonderful Workshop community,

I very much need your help! Within the last couple of weeks, I've made a last ditch effort to encourage some extra growth of the lawn in my backyard, before the summer heat truly sets in. I've sowed a bunch of seed, spread fertiliser, and have consistently been watering twice per day. Unfortunately, large portions of our rental home's yard remain barren and sandy (it was in atrocious condition when we moved in a few months ago). In addition to the seldomly noticeable growth, it seems as though I've incurred infestations of a few different types of pest throughout the yard. I'm content with accepting that conditions aren't ideal for lawn growth, but the pests are becoming a significant problem.

We have a worrisome amount of Red Banded Sand Wasps that are trying to take advantage of my failed attempts at lawn propogation; there are also widespread populations of what I believe to be Milkweed Bugs (see photo for reference; please inform me if my identification is erroneous), as well as some Black Beetles. I'm hoping that you all would elucidate me as to the best ways to rid my yard of these pests, and in a way that is considerate of my dog that enjoys spending large periods of the day out there. I've learned enough about herbicides on my successful journey to defeating the weeds, but insecticides are a completely new topic to me.

I'm looking forward to hearing of your knowledge and experience,

Jay

Perth, Western Australia

400012042_366976752660888_5743928961469220178_n.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Please help with my yard's pest infestations!

Hi @FlancyJay,

The first question you need to ask yourself before spraying something like Yates 200ml Baythroid Advanced Insect Killer over your lawn is whether these insects are causing damage or harm. If this is an African lawn beetle, not just a generic harmless black beetle, it could harm your lawn, and you can use the Baythroid product. The Red Banded Sand Wasps can give a nasty sting, so if you have children or pets, that could be a reason to consider destroying the nest. However, they are considered beneficial predatory insects and are likely doing more good for your garden than harm. We have a variety of products that will deal with the wasps.

I'm not finding any information on the Milkweed bugs causing any damage and suggestions are to live with them for the short period they are around for.

With chemical use in the garden, it's best to keep your pets and children out of the areas until the products have fully dried.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
FlancyJay
Growing in Experience

Hey Mitchell,

Thank you very much being such a reliable font of knowledge!

From researching some of the signs of lawn damage that are indicative of African Black Beetles, they appear to be consistent with what I'm seeing throughout my own lawn.

Do Red Banded Sand Wasps have a singular nest? I was under the impression that they were fairly solitary by nature and would dig individual burrows. Their presence is proving to make tending to the lawn a fairly unnerving venture, and so I think that their removal is necessary.

Regarding Milkweed Bugs, I had read that they predominately feed on seeds - and were likely attracted by the large amounts that were sown - by injecting a liquifying compound and then ingesting the contents. It would explain as to why places that I had sown and have also seen a higher concentration of them, has not eventuated in any sprouting.

I thoroughly appreciate the additional considerations that you brought to my awareness,

Jay

Red Banded Sand Wasps are solitary @FlancyJay. So, if you have multiple nests and adults, then it sounds like your lawn has the ideal conditions for their nesting. If there are so many that it makes being outside an unpleasant experience, then it sounds like it would be worth getting rid of them. It's always best to try and live alongside predatory insets, but that can be difficult in large numbers, especially when they have a nasty sting.

I'd suggest going ahead with the Baythroid. It's not designed specifically for the Red Banded Sand Wasps so you might need to apply another wasp specific treatment for them.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects