Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal marine ply in campervan?

steve2000
Finding My Feet

How to seal marine ply in campervan?

Hi I'm a software engineer that sits in a chair all day, every day, for the last 20+ years, so no expert with tools or related stuff 

Anyhow, I decided to build my own camper van and will be living in this full time in a couple of months while travelling the big lap 

I think my build is ok, using 12mm marine ply and dress pine for the frame, and now need to seal it 

I want it to last for some time. If I can get 2 or 3 years out of it, that would be cool 

My partner is highly allergic to paint, generally wet paint and the odours that come from that,

although we found she can handle water-based paint   

seeking what product to use that needs to be water base or similar to seal up this timber build 

it is expected to get a little bit of rain on it sometimes if doors are opened in rainy weather, and its ability to handle the odd spilt drink/coffee  lol 

not intended as a full outdoor timber project 

seeking the best product to use and any resources on what tools are needed / how to apply - prefer a method that does not require a spray gun (don't have one and wouldn't know how to use it anyhow lol) 

also, the very back timber doors I want to stain a colour - again, I will need to find out the best stain stuff I need / how to apply (12mm marine ply) 

including resources regarding hot to final preparations of the timber before staining / sealing etc 

cheers :smile: Back doors I want to stain and seal (12mm marine ply)Back doors I want to stain and seal (12mm marine ply)camper van build projectcamper van build projectcamper van build projectcamper van build project

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Type of paint/sealant and how to resources for marine ply project build

Hi @steve2000,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it's great to have you with us on the verge of such an exciting adventure.

You've done an excellent job with the fitout and should be very proud of the quality of what you've produced so far.

I'd advise having a look at the Dulux Aquanamel range. This is a low odour, water-based paint that can be tinted to a variety of colours at your local store's paint counter. You can also have a look at Cabot's 1L Water Based Stain And Varnish which would be great to bring out and accentuate the natural grain of the marine ply. Once applied, try to give the van a few days for the paint or varnish to cure and air out so it is not off gassing smells anymore.

If you were to go with a paint or stain, have a look at these helpful articles for some guidance on the process -

How to paint like a professional

How To Stain An Indoor Table

You won't require a spray gun as the area is certainly manageable with a paintbrush and roller. I'd advise getting a good cutting in brush such as UNi-PRO 63mm You Can Do It Sash Cutter Paint Brush as well as a Paint Partner 270mm Paint Roller Kit as these can be used for either paints or stains. 

If you wanted to cover things all together, I've seen a number of customers use marine carpet to finish off their vans, utes and campers. It is a durable material designed for use in marine applications, so it is very resistant to water. It is also UV resistant so would stand up to sun exposure. I believe that can give your build a more homely feel and is definitely an option worth considering.

Please keep us updated on your project as it progresses, I'm very excited to see the end product.

Jacob

Cheers, thanks heaps - I will have a look at all these and plan to get the next stage started this weekend :smile: 

yeah, actually, being a multidisciplined engineer, designing this was pretty easy for me (building it was, umm... "interesting")  with 100% focus on building a modular system that completely comes out - can be removed/put back in with 1 person in under 10 min  - 6 bolts and 4 screws  

so I can paint this out of the van and close up the garage while it dries - while the build is in the garage getting painted, all the electrics can be done in the van  

TBH, I plan on covering the top section (bed/office desk) with marine carpet for the reasons you mentioned above - so even more points for mentioning that - I will need to learn how to do that, which I was going to ask after the painting was done 

The plan is to actually Woodburn some art on those back doors - a cool arty map of Australia then stain in a dark reddish colour trying to keep the wood grain, then seal 

Thanks very much for the info and speedy reply; I have some study to do after dinner tonight and am looking forward to getting on the road real soon 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @steve2000,

Did you have any images or plans of the build? I'd be very interested to see them if you did.

I love the idea of the wood burnt map of Australia; it gives it that personal touch that will really make it home.

Please do keep us updated on the build as it goes forward, it would be great to see the finished product.

Jacob

:smile: 

I have been asked a few times for the design of this one from various groups and things I also plan after I get on the road to publishing the complete design prob, for a 5-buck donation, maybe or just free 

This is a speciality build for  Nissan Elgrand E51 series 2 Import, being a bit of a nice entry low-key luxury

the electric sunroofs, electric doors and curtains are all factory - the build is around keeping the van as factory as possible or looking factory as possible

It has all heated leather seating - and the second-row seats rotate 180 to face the front or back (office captain seats) - as an import, it is plated and registered as a "camper"; however, it maintains 4 legal seats/belts as a 4 person passenger 

the primary focus of this build is "Mobile office first" sleeper/kitchenette second - both of us are digital nomads, this van has 3 configs

1. 2 Seat mobile office - sat internet, 2x PC workstations,  2kw solar generator 

2. sleeper - plenty of room for 2 other than the compromise of the low ceiling - no room for sitting up in bed (unless you stick ya head out of the sunroof lol) 

3. kitchenette - induction cooktop, large electric frying pan, fridge and a portable firepit or those grill burgers with beer on Friday nights 

the sunroof provides the viewing deck and launch zone for the drone 

other mods include Bluetooth-controlled lighting - disco lights if we want, lol, awesome 2x media screens, android media box in dash/roof drop-down, and Bose sound - still deciding on the 900pce fibre optic light show system (maybe, maybe not - more of a time issue with that idea )  

upgraded throttle computer with launch mode lol uses about 100L pr premium fuel to get across the intersection but does it with the front wheels off the road...(not quite but it feels like it, and is fun to be the first off the mark... )  has eco mode for using not much fuel cruising around

other electrics, including temp-controlled ducted venting

tinted windows + made-to-size UV shades on all windows + curtains - (also provides total inside blackout for video editing) this thing is very comfortable to get into even after being parked in 40-degree heat for 8 hours. It often remains cooler inside than outside - not including the ducted venting - which will be set at 50 degrees and automatically turn on / off when unattended 

Other goals were keeping it "stealth", not looking like a camper, and keeping it under 2.0m in height - good for most carparks 

later this month; it gets the tyre upgrade and airbags. There are a few other things I might do, but it is now becoming a focus on getting the project wrapped up and out the door before it turns into a rabbit hole. 

a couple of progress photos below :smile: 

elgrand.pngIMG20231113154243.jpgIMG20231113154721.jpgIMG20231113154929.jpgIMG20231119173047.jpgIMG20231119173359.jpgIMG20231119173531.jpgIMG20231119174344.jpgIMG20240204170827.jpgIMG20240204170849.jpgIMG20240204170916.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @steve2000 

Thank you very much for sharing all those details of your build. It certainly looks very stealthy as the camper side is well hidden behind the rear seats, but the transformation into a sleeping area is quite impressive. I love the office configuration. I'm sure there will be some amazing sights while you type on your keyboard.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your camper fully painted and ready to go.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects