Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop overflowing water from other properties?

Barbara35
Cultivating a Following

How to stop overflowing water from other properties?

I have an existing colourbond fence as a boundary fence between my property and the adjoining property.

I continually have flooding when heavy rain pouring through from their  place. It is like a dam has burst and we have renewed all of our storm water and drains  at a cost of $9000.

Our drainage accommodates water on our property but not the extra from behind. When this happens it floods the top level which becomes like a swimming pool and over the garden and is like a waterfall coming down over the steps  to the patio. When the water gets to the patio we have to broom it to the side so that it doesn't enter the house. We have had to have SES provide sand bags.

We have spoken to the neighbor who says his yard floods as well but says it is nature and is not prepared to do anything .

We have spoken to the Council on a number of occasions and one again they are looking into it.

We are having quotes to build a wall across the back but this is very expensive. We thought we would get cement sheeting and put that across the back to prevent this flooding. We were thinking  of making it approx 3ft high. and to go across approx 405ft 

Not sure what product to use and really need help.

Barbara35
Cultivating a Following

Re: How to stop overflowing water from other properties

How about FC eave lining hardiflex jh 2400x750x4.5mm  400391/

We can put this into the ground about 6" then screw the hardiflex to the colour bond fence.

This should stop the water coming through.

There are likely many different products that you could use @Barbara35. However, given this product is not designed for this purpose and with the absence of specific details on the type of loads that will be placed upon it, it's hard to give you a definitive answer. Sure, it will divert water, but if several hundred litres of water built up behind it would cause it to fail and dump that water in one torrential load. It's always best to consider the worst-case scenario.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Barbara35
Cultivating a Following

what sheeting would you suggest?

@Barbara35,

There are no sheeting options that I am aware of that are designed for the potential loads that could be applied to them; this is really a question best posed to a structural engineer. I'd suggest that they'd concentrate more on what options are available for capturing and diverting the water rather than blocking it.  

Have a look at this document from a suburb in NSW. I'd encourage you to seek advice from your local council in regard to their regulations. 

Some points to note from the document that could also apply in your area:

• You are required to accept natural overland flow from adjoining properties or public land and must not divert, redirect or concentrate the flow from its natural path onto neighbouring properties.*

• It is important to note that a downstream property owner cannot erect any type of barrier by way of large walls or closed fencing that interferes with the path of stormwater - if you are downstream, you must accept the 'natural' run-off onto your property.

*I'm not suggesting you are trying to direct the water to a neighbouring property; it's just worth bearing in mind in case that happens inadvertently.

I understand that this is a frustrating issue, and I hope your local council can assist in finding a suitable solution.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Hi @Barbara35 , it is interesting to note in @MitchellMc ' s quotes, that an owner can't erect walls that obstruct the natural flow, and yet it sounds as if this is what your neighbour has done with the ex garden bed wall. 

Without seeing the situation, I am wondering if there is a suitable place where your neighbour could put a break in that brick wall such that the water could flow into your drains rather than just overflow along the whole length of the fence.

That would save you building yet another length of low wall on your side to do exactly that. 

I suggested garden edging before because it is strong weatherproof plastic, so it's waterproof, but I can only see that product in 100mm (4") width, so it may not be wide enough to fill in the gap and also be buried into the soil...?  If you think it would be, you could pop rivet it to the bottom of your steel fence.

Barbara35
Cultivating a Following

Hi,

If he  broke the wall it would probably be worse. If I was to use waterproof plastic isn't that the same as putting cement sheeting there it would still stop the water coming through. If I had a brick fence and not a colour bond fence then the water would not come through so I can't see whey the sheeting would not be the same.

I Dred the thought of the storm we are expecting to-morrow or to-morrow night we will have to stay up to see if we have to be out there at all hour brooming water away again.

I have been on to the Council Assistant to the General Manager and sent through all of the emails and she seems to want to get the people who should be involved involved. I can only hope.

We had a look at some Ceminte sheeting at Bunnings and may take a chance and use this screwed onto the colour bond fence.

Wouldn't this do the same job as the 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Barbara35 

Would it be possible for you to post a picture of your backyard where the flood is occurring and where its overflowing to? By your description I can understand how stressful it can be when you have a large body of water entering your property. I'm afraid using cement sheeting will not solve your problem as the body of water is in motion and if impeded will either find another way around the fence or it will dig through by irrigating the soil by the fence and thereby causing more damage.

A safe and legal way must be found to relieve the flooding that is occurring in your area. Perhaps the water can be guided to a drain pit nearby? If volume is the issue perhaps a larger drain pit can be installed to accommodate the excess water? 

If you need a hand posting the pictures, please let me know.

Eric

Barbara35
Cultivating a Following

Thank you for your interest.

I am sorry I can take a photo on my phone and send it  to a mobile but not sure how to  any other way.

We do have a ag pipe across the boundary however what it collects goes across the yard down the side through our drains and out through the storm water. I am sure that some water must soak into the ground and go through this pipe.

This will accommodate all of our water and has difficulty getting out because of flooding in the gutters blocking our storm water getting out however will drain if we put sand bags at the side of our storm water outlet  to make the gutter water go out and around allowing our storm water to then get out.

This ag pipe would not cope with the amount of water coming over as if this extra water was diverted through this pipe from the back then the drains would be full of this water and done of our water would get out.

We  have drains all across  the yard to collect surface water as well. They are full of our own water and extra would block our water.

I have drawn a rough diagram  and have scanned it but not sure how to get it on this page.

Sorry for not knowing.

Barbara35
Cultivating a Following

Sorry Eric don't know how to post photos

If you access this discussion on your phone @Barbara35, you can then hit the upload images button and select images from your device. 

Alternatively, you can email the photo(s) to workshop@bunnings.com.au and we can add them for you. 

All the best,

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects