Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop water from entering patio area?

gniyaz
Growing in Experience

How to stop water from entering patio area?

Hi,

When it rains, water comes inside my patio. I noticed that surface is not straight. I would like to know whether using self levelling liquid and doing epoxy again would fix this problem or any other ideas to resolve it? I bought a outdoor blind but it rolls back due to winds. 

Note- water enters patio area during rain directly. Not via existing concrete. 

45BAC9D9-E51D-4A87-86CD-D0611E8C4769.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: suggestion on preventing rain water

Hi @gniyaz,

You could prepare the existing surface and then lay a self-levelling cement. You'd need to remove the painted coating for the self-leveller to bind to the existing concrete slab. The rain will still enter the area, though it will just drain and dry up faster.

Bistro blinds are designed to span the entire opening and fix onto the walls/posts on either side. This stops them from moving in the wind. Here's the installation video showing how to install the side mounts. You might need a larger blind that can fill the gap. What's the size of the opening?

Have you considered plastic canopies? By adding them across the span, they'd do a good job of preventing rain from entering the area.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
gniyaz
Growing in Experience

Hi @MitchellMc

Thanks for your response. I bought coolaroo outdoor blinds. It doesn’t have channel as mentioned by you. But if I can make it to hold it to winds, it would resolve most if my problem. 

My total width is 5m and I could find a single plastic canopy to fit it. I don’t like to have multiple canopy being installed. 

here is the photo of how it looks from outside. 

D3C599AF-DD8D-4821-893E-D0565CEB8E9D.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Thanks for the additional information, @gniyaz.

Due to having a larger width to cover, it's difficult to fix the blinds at their bottom so they don't move in the wind. I see you've added the bottom retaining fixture halfway up the wall. Typically if your blind spanned the entire width between two walls, you'd use those fixtures at the bottom of the blind to hold it in place and prevent it from moving in the wind. Since you have two blinds across this span, it would be difficult to stop them from moving unless you could join them together somehow. Do you think there is enough room in the bottom sleeve which holds the horizontal pole to insert a length of 16mm dowel that could be used as a joining section? That way, the blinds would be somewhat fixed together, and you could use the retaining fixtures to stop the bottom from moving around.

Mitchell

gniyaz
Growing in Experience

@MitchellMc Should I fix the surface first and then revisit plastic canopoies or vice versa? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That would be up to you, @gniyaz.

If you connect the two blinds and lower the bottom retaining fixtures, that would likely eliminate the water coming in under them. Why have you placed the bottom retaining fixtures halfway up the wall? Is it because you typically like the blinds only lowered to that height?

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects