Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to update tiled doorsteps?

Caro_line
Finding My Feet

How to update tiled doorsteps?

Hi all,

I'll preface my question by saying I am a complete DIY rookie, but I'm eager to learn :smile: 

My doorsteps are an eyesore and I would like to give them a more modern/polished look. Removing the files and laying some new ones may be too difficult a job for this newbie, but I could be wrong. As the tiles are glazed, painting over them does not seem to be an option either.

Any ideas/inspiration would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_4427.jpgIMG_4428.jpgIMG_4433.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to update tiled doorsteps

Hello @Caro_line 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about updating your tiled doorsteps.

In regards to painting your glazed tiles you are correct. It will take a great deal of effort and preparation to deglaze your tile and then paint over it. Not only that but it requires you to use hazardous chemicals that are not D.I.Y. friendly and requires a professional to handle it.

If you are going to use that much effort, it would be easier to retile the area. As a first time D.I.Y project this might be a bit challenging as it needs to be done correctly as it is at the front of your door. Any misaligned tile will be immediately seen, poorly mixed adhesive will have tiles popping off. It needs to be strong as people will be stepping on it.

I suggest perhaps attempting a tiling project that will give you a bit of experience. Have you thought about tiling your laundry's splashback or perhaps just tiling the back of your laundry tub? Once you've done those you can then perhaps start planning on tiling your doorsteps.

Here are some handy step-by-step guides:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to update tiled doorsteps?

Hi @Caro_line,

Just wanted to also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's great to have you join us and to see you're eager to learn. We have loads of clever and creative members who share their knowledge and experience on the site every day.

I trust you found Eric's reply helpful. Let me tag a few other helpful members to see how they would tackle this project: @TedBear@homeinmelbourne@Remarka6le@prettyliving.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to update tiled doorsteps?

Thank you, @EricJ and @Jason.
I fully agree with Eric. Retiling the area would be great, but possibly not by myself at this stage. Misaligned tiles guaranteed! :smile: 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects