Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to waterproof bottom of indoor plant stand?

tibz_timber
Growing in Experience

How to waterproof bottom of indoor plant stand?

I am looking to build a couple of indoor plant stands for an enclosed veranda area that will hold ferns and other plants that like to be heavily watered.  I want to create a waterproof section inside the base of each stand to capture the excess water.  I am hoping for a lining of some description that will enable me to line the bottom and about 100mm up the sides.  The bottom is planned to be about 1.2m long and about 300mm wide.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to waterproof bottom of indoor plant stand?

Hi @tibz_timber,

You could use GRUNT 2m x 5m Black 200um Medium Impact Pro Builder's Film Handy Roll to create a waterproof section inside each stand. Please bear in mind that although plants like ferns enjoy thorough waterings, they do not enjoy constantly wet feet. You might like to create a watering well in the bottom of the planters so the soil doesn't sit in the retained water. A simple way to do this is by placing your plastic in first and then adding a 10cm layer of blue metal aggregate on top of it. Drill a hole in the side of the planter, through the plastic, just above the aggregate. Cover the aggregate with drain matting. You can then fill the planter with soil. With this method, you retain some water in the lower section and excess water is removed through the overflow hole. 

Please let me know if you have any questions or need further assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell

I am putting potted plants in the plant stands and will be using foam blocks to keep the bottom of the tops above the water level.

I want to be able to move the pots around in the future.

Tibz

That sounds like a simple and effective solution @tibz_timber.

I trust our members would love to follow along with your build if you'd like to share it with us.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects