Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to waterproof brass outdoor ornament?

claire89
Just Starting Out

How to waterproof brass outdoor ornament?

Hi everyone,

I am wanting to keep the below candle holder outside. Can anyone recommend a product I could use to spray it with to make it 'outdoor' proof?

Thanks in advance!  

thumbnail_IMG_9489.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Waterproofing outdoor ornament

Hello @claire89

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your question about how to waterproof your ornament for the outdoors.

What a beautiful ornament. Before I make any recommendations, are you going to re-polish the ornament back to its original brass finish or do you want to waterproof it in its current state? One of the sealers you can use is Dulux 300g Metalshield Brass And Copper Enamel Clear Spray. It will protect the brass from corrosion if displayed outside but is not meant to be left out in the rain. Your other alternative is to use Cabot's 300g Gloss Clear Exterior Spray Pack. However, extensive preparation must be carried out to your ornament before you spray it with this clear sealer.

Let me tag our experienced members @lifestylebymari and @craftyhopper for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
claire89
Just Starting Out

Re: Waterproofing outdoor ornament

Thank you so much for your help Eric. 

I am wanting to waterproof it in it's current state. 

I will check out the two products you have recommended. 

Thanks again

Claire

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects