Workshop
Ask a question

How to build a small deck with pallets?

jaydeeng
Just Starting Out

How to build a small deck with pallets?

I'm looking at building a small deck in the backyard with pallet wood. I have the pallets and im not sure how to start. The area I'm intending on building it on is builders sand. It's a new build so there is lots of sand space to cover and thought a small wooden deck off the rear patio would make a great addition for extra seating area. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How would I build a small deck with pallets

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @jaydeeng. It's marvelous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about building a deck.

Using pallets to build a deck sounds like a fun project. As pallets are not designed to be building materials, it's a little hard to give specific advice on how to use them. You might like to look at this wonderful project on Recycled pallet and crate timber decks by @Arcc. They pull the pallets apart and use the timber to construct the decks.

Given that pallet slats make it hard to walk on them, were you thinking of using pallets for the understructure and then installing decking boards over them?

You need to be aware that any project constructed from pallets should be considered temporary. Pine pallets are not treated suitably for continuous exposure to the elements and typically will start to disintegrate within several years.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects