Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Installing Outdoor Security lights.

Col60-Allround
Just Starting Out

Installing Outdoor Security lights.

Wanting advice on installing Security lights to house to light up driveway ,and entrance area.

What are the best lights with weather resistance,and whether solar power,or plug into existing power are the best options.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Installing Outdoor Security lights.

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Col60-Allround. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

You'll find our range of external security lighting comes with at least an IP44 weather resistant rating. This means they are perfect for covered external situations like under eaves sheets where they don't receive direct heavy rain. If you wanted something that would be suitable for complete exposure to rain, I would advise stepping up to an IP65 which is much more suited to those conditions.

There is a certain amount of light distribution which is associated with security lights and this is normally achieved through 240v from existing power. Security lights serve to illuminate a large area with a bright light that can also deter intruders.

Solar lights are generally used as navigation lights and rarely produce enough light for large areas. There is however a range of solar flood lights which would be worth considering as they have larger than normal solar panels allowing them to supply greater amounts of light than traditional solar lights. These would be perfect if it is difficult to find a power source in the desired location.

If you intend on lighting up a large area with a significant amount of light then my advice would be to have a 240v security light installed.

Please let me know if you need further information or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects