Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Insulate Aviary - How to attach?

Simone2
Just Starting Out

Insulate Aviary - How to attach?

20201126_175405.jpg

hello,

I have a 2.3m x 2.3m metal sheeting aviary.

I am planning to insulate the roof and the side that takes the afternoon sun. (Unfortunately can't change location of aviary).

My idea is to use Bastion 1200 x 600 x 30mm XPS Multi-Use Insulation Foam Board as the insulation on the inside.

Then cover with Bastion 2.5m Clear Polycarbonate Roofing Sheet because i don't want to use plywood boards and I don't want my birds chewing the foam boards.

What can I use to screw these in from the inside?

Will I need to use silicone on the outside around screws to prevent water seepage and rusting the screws?

Any advice welcome, thank you. 

Simone

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Insulate Aviary - How to attach?

Hi @Simone2,

I'd advise installing batons inside the roof first which all this can be screwed onto. You could perhaps use three lengths of 70 x 22mm 4.8m Treated Pine Decking cut to span the inside width of the roof. Pre-drill holes in the roof at these locations and screw Buildex Roof Zip C4 HexHead Screws M6 x 25 Windspray Bx100 down through the roof into the battens. The reason for suggesting you do this is to not have un-sealed holes in your roof. The Buildex screws have a  rubber washer that stops water leaking in.

Now that the batons are in place you can simply place polycarbonate over the insulation and use Suntuf Clearfix Roofing Screws - 50 Pack to fix them both into the batons.

Please let me know if you need further information or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects