Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Is it possible to pave over stamped concrete?

craftycrew
Just Starting Out

Is it possible to pave over stamped concrete?

Hi All,

We'd like to redesign our outdoor area to make it feel more like a modern alfresco area. We'd like to start with the flooring before doing anything else.

The floor is stamped concrete and ideally We'd love to tile over this - but have no idea of its possible or where to start?

I thought maybe we could grind down the concrete, but some grooves are quite deep and I'm note sure that would work. If we tile directly on the stamped concrete, I've got a feeling it would come up uneven..... 

All suggestions welcome and even alternative options. My husband hates the stamped Concrete look, so something will be done... just not sure what? 🤷‍♀️ I'll attach pictures of current space, as well as inspo picture of what We'd like to achieve - which was found in the bunnings workshop inspo. (Ignore the kids toys - they're not a permanent fixture!)

Thank you! 😊

1672219524428384704871434749770.jpg

16722195746019125843738258436329.jpg

16722195966335115786997291380229.jpg

Screenshot_20221218-220334_Chrome.jpg

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Is it possible to Pave over Stamped Concrete?

Hi @craftycrew 

Tile  version

At least you have a nice concrete base as a starter.

First I would advise to use self leveling cement for all those nooks and crannies giving you a flat surface to tile too. Smaller tiles will affected by the  depth and with of the stenciled surface undulations where as larger tiles will span across the undulations and may not  need self leveling cement.

But go self leveling concrete if your budget  can  afford it or do the project in stages any tiles as it looks like a larger area.

Well if your tiles  at lease 300x300mm wide you simply can use a 10mm notched trowel and tile directly over the top using regular tile glue.

If your tiles 400 x 400mm  or bigger use 12mm notched trowel.

If you tiles smaller than 300x 300mm 6-8mm notch but must be on self leveling  cement.

bunnings Dingo 20kg Self-Levelling Cement I/N: 0207213 $34.70

If you feel happy to tile yourselves  i highly recommend  A tile leveling system as follow it holds each tile edge together creating a uniform tiling surface.  Turns an amature into a near pro.

DTA Yellow Lippage Spacer - 100 Pack I/N: 6650254 $21.96

DTA Red Lippage Caps - 100 Pack I/N: 6650253 $28.72

DTA Lippage Leveling Gun I/N: 6650255  $44.18

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @craftycrew,

Your outdoor transformation is going to look stunning when finished and we can definitely help you get there. Our resident DIY expert will be back online tomorrow to best assist with your question and @Jewelleryrescue has given some great advice on using self-leveling cement to get a nice even surface to lay your pavers. In the meantime, check out this great video how to prepare and lay a base for pavers as it goes through all the steps from prep to laying to sealing pavers. Experienced pavers @marliemakesit (who will love that her project is part of your inspiration) and @matweb may also be able to lend some suggestions as well. 

We would love to see how your outdoor entertaining area transforms so please keep us updated with photos. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
matweb
Building a Reputation

It is definitely possible to pave over stamped concrete it actually would make the job easier you can just lay straight down on top of the concrete with no Prep work just using a tile and paver glue to stick them down if you don't want to glue them all down just do the edge ones to lock the inside ones in place 

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @craftycrew 

Paver Version

I mental substituted pavers with tiles  am I bad.    so Yes  pavers would be a breeze over a stenciled concrete.  I would  like to ask @MitchellMc  to suggest best paving sand to suit this purpose off the top of his head,  

To  my mind you shouldnt have to go to the expense self leveling concrete a thin layer sand cement dry mix to fill the cracks should provide a strong stable base and as @matweb  suggested  wet cement the outer edges locking pavers in place. Wetting pavers after wards to activate sand and cement mix.

The sand cement cushion layer can allow   pavers to be lifted  later if you want a new look . Older pavers  can be resold.

The  pavers  cant  go down directly on stenciled concrete as  some pavers may tilt as  sit proud in the deeper stenciled grooves.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @craftycrew,

Just to clarify, do you wish to lay thick pavers or thin tiles? If you're tiling, then I would suggest self-levelling the area first as there will be tighter tolerances to adhere to. If you're paving, then you could likely get away with going straight over the area.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects