Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Low level deck - What spacing for posts?

pastolz
Getting Established

Low level deck - What spacing for posts?

Hi All,

I'm looking at building a low level 5200mm x 5200mm deck that will be more than 95% under cover of a pergola. It's an existing paved area, no concrete below. With the pavers removed and without levelling much of the ground, we'll have minimum 120mm clearance at the doorway against the house leading out to edge of pergola where maybe there will be up to 160mm clearance.

I'm planning on using 120mm x 45mm bearers as joists, 400mm spacing. The bearers/joists will span 5200mm. My question is, at what measurement would I support the bearers? I'll upload some photos of the area tonight with a rough sketch (if I can) of the deck plan... I'll use 90x90 posts as supports.

Look forward to any help!

Thanks!

pastolz
Getting Established

Low level deck - feedback on sketch

Hi All,

Just after some feedback on a sketch for a low level deck. We're looking at a deck approximately 5200mm x 5200mm. The area we'll dig out a little to gain some clearance, but currently there's only about 140mm once we remove the pavers.

The sketch uses 4 x 140x45mm bearers with joists of 120x45mm. Any feedback on the sketch/plan would be greatly appreciated. If you need any more information from me, please ask.New Doc 2020-04-29 21.05.00_2.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Low level deck - feedback on sketch

Hi @pastolz.

Your sketch for the low-level deck appears to be fairly spot-on. A concern I had which I have picked up from @ProjectPete is that your decking boards need to be laid in the same direction as your bearers. Had you decided to run the decking perpendicular to the house as per this design? If not you are going to need to reconfigure it.

Where that pergola post is located you are going to need additional joists to nail the boards butting up to it into. Everything else on the plan from looks like it will work.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@MitchellMc Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated, I think I'll draw up a sketch with bearers parallel to the house and put in joists where needed at pergola posts. If I post up the proposed materials list, would you be able to offer feedback on it before I order? Thanks again!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @pastolz.

I can certainly take a look at it for you.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects