Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Low level deck against brick house

Marc86
Getting Established

Low level deck against brick house

20200503_132953.jpg

20200503_133854.jpg

Hi All,

Have just found this forum and have read up on a lot of good tips from low level decking posts which was great. I'm looking at replacing our alfresco area with Eko decking and understand i need to do some excavation to ensure 200mm gap between the ground and h3 bearers. I want to have a step down onto the grass which will have a decking face, will this be ok with H3 as the backing? Ive included a sketch with materials and measurements I'm planning to use but need a little help on how to attach the bearers to the house. On one side it's the ends of the bearers and then the other I need to install a bearer lengthways against the house and the end of it. Any help would be much appreciated. The joists will be hanging joists.

Thanks in advance

Marc86
Getting Established

Re: Low level deck against brick house

Also the decking will be the height as the existing paving, no permits required.

Marc86
Getting Established

Probably a silly question but instead of using H4 stumps are there Stirrups I can put into concrete that the bearers can go straight onto?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Workshop community @Marc86.

We're pleased to have you join the discussion as it sounds like a fantastic project you are embarking on.

Let me tag some of our very knowledgeable community members @ProjectPete and @Brad to see if they might like to join in the discussion.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Only 191 stirrups to sort through to find what you want.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/our-range/building-hardware/fixings-fasteners/post-supports/stirrups 

I would look at using a 1/2 bracket as strong enough for a low deck.

Marc86
Getting Established

Hi Brad, thanks for your reply, I went to take a look at some yesterday, as I need to have minimum 200mm clearance from the ground the longest stirrups I saw were 300mm and given I'm planning on doing hanging joists to reduce the excavation amount would 100mm in the concrete be sufficient or are there longer / different alternatives I can use?

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

I would like more in the concrete 450mm is the next size up I can find they are full for 90mm timber.

Marc86
Getting Established

Thanks Brad have just found, m10 100mm for fixing? Also the other query I had was how to go about connecting to the 2 walls. 1 wall is the ends of the bearers and the other wall to try and avoid putting posts there wanting to fix the bearer to the brick wall? Given how close to the ground would you recommend putting in h4 timber or is there a metal option that can be bolted?

Marc86
Getting Established

Is there a galvanised angle bracket that can be used to secure the ends of the bearers and a full bearer to the brick wall? If so could you please specify?

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects