Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

My Friend He comes he stays and then he Goes.

John1
Having an Impact

My Friend He comes he stays and then he Goes.

Pic_1011_076.jpgsnake pic1.jpegAD916F78-A9EE-4D4C-A391-4F3260FC1289 (1).png

John1
Having an Impact

Re: My Friend He comes he stays and then he Goes.

He is only little at 3mts. we have had them up to about 5mts. This one however used to come every year for about five years and then abruptly stopped even the big ones are to shy to come out of the trees anymore. To many dogs. I'm sure they didn' worry about cats though as them and possums made nice tucker. Fair game the cats hunted the large variety of birds we have and still have.

Our estate has grown in the past 20 years and our wild life has dwindled. The lone koala who used to wander up and back along the path would call for a mate all night, The water dragons loved getting a bath when we hosed our garden and grow to at least a metre have now dwindled down to a few. The last blue tongue was run over as the lady put it she was late to pick up her kids from school. The possums are still there and the foxes haven't been seen for ages. You now and then hear the kangaroos and wallabies as they crash through the undergrowth. The beauty of city life is taking over.

So I thought you would enjoy these photos as he slept peacefully just outside our back door in the same rafter year after year.   

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@John1, if he doesn't drink your beer, keep him as a friend, but if you just don't like him, & given that you have a nail gun, he'd make a good door draught stopper. ; )

I am not a big fan of snakes but I guess he is keeping the rodents away.
Wood Working with Wayne
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm with you Wayne. I don't think I'd be keen sharing my house with a Joe Blake.

Lovely to see photos from afar though!

Jason
See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
John1
Having an Impact

I'm with both you and Jason, Wayne. I to hate snakes and one day a few years ago, I thought some soundproofing from under the patio roof had come loose and was lying in the gutter couldn't see anything else only this small piece of what I thought was soundproofing. Went and got the ladder and up I went but before tackling the roof I would get out the piece stuck in the gutter. It wouldn't budge as I couldn't get a grip on the bloody thing and I seen this bloody great head appear over the lip of the gutter fell of the ladder and refused to check the roof as the piece of soundproofing was the belly of a bloody great Joe Blake at least 5 mts long . Pam thought it was great John chucking a wobble over a snake.

Well I have learnt to live with them and them with me. I would walk underneath the one you see in the photos trying to believe he was friendly, but now he's gone I miss him and all his friends. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects