Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Need advise on the colour of exterior

Jainmoheet
Finding My Feet

Need advise on the colour of exterior

4EAFF1B8-6951-417A-B8DC-C4A604D998A9.jpeg

Hi i just got my roof restored and painted in burgundy colour and now i am thinking of painting the brick and the gutter and the driveway which one should i pick that will match and looks good. Would love to have some input on which colour to choose and also suggest the product to use from Bunnings. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Need advise on the colour of exterior

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Jainmoheet. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about selecting exterior house colours.

When choosing a colour for your brick, gutters, and driveway, it's important to consider the overall colour scheme of your home. You may want to look at colours that will complement or contrast with the burgundy. You can use a similar shade of burgundy for your brick and gutters, but it's probably better to choose a neutral colour, such as beige, grey, or white, which will provide a subtle contrast with the burgundy roof and allow it to stand out. Dulux Weathershield is an excellent choice for most exterior surfaces of your home.

You could consider using a darker colour for the driveway to create a visual anchor for your outdoor space. Darker shades of grey, blue, or black can work well with a burgundy roof. Just be sure to use high-quality driveway paint like Berger Jet Dry Heavy-Duty, specifically designed for concrete surfaces. 

You have what looks to be stamped concrete, and we'll need to discuss whether it's suitable for painting. It's best to start by cleaning it with a pressure washer so we can see the quality of the surface. If it's degraded, it is not suitable to accept a painted coating. Also, any sealer must be removed from it.

Ultimately, the best colour for your brick, gutters, and driveway will depend on your personal preferences and the overall aesthetic of your home. It may be helpful to look at colour swatches or sample boards in-store to understand better how different colours will look on your home. I'd suggest picking up some sample pots of colours that you like the look of and doing some test sections. You'll then start to get an idea of what might work. 

Let me mention one of our experts, @redbournreno, to see if they have some thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you Mitchell for the details will probably pressure wash the driveway and its concrete one with brick like design done with the stencils. There are few cracks on the driveway but otherwise its in good shape i can fill those gaps and get it painted. Also is there any way i can visualise how it might look once i choose the colour. Thanks again for the inputs.

There is the colour visualiser from Dulux, which I have already tried for you @Jainmoheet. It can be a bit finicky with brick walls, and you might find it tricky to use the app to "paint" the wall for you. Your best bet might be using some sample pots on the wall or painting some large sections of cardboard and moving them around the place to get an idea of what the colour could like.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redbournreno
Having an Impact

Hi @Jainmoheet 

Wow that roof has come up beautifully.

The factors to think about next are the parts of the house that you will NOT change - work with these colours first. For example: window frames, garage door, driveway, brickwork and of course your new roof! Any new painting must avoid clashing with existing features.

I find it helpful to try and find out what the current colours are or what they are close to. Do you have a sample or swatch of your roof colour? Pick up some paint swatches from Bunnings that you think are close to your colours then check them against the surfaces at home.

Your bricks aren't a great colour next to the roof, so I'd suggest painting the guttering a different colour if you haven't already had it redone with the roof. Maybe Colourbond Basalt or Woodland Grey, and paint the garage door the same if you like darker colours.

If your windows are cream then either keep your fascia and garage a light cream (don't go white or it will look odd) or sand colour or go a light green-based grey for the lower rendered/brick section.

If you are painting yourself then make sure you clean the external surfaces well with a gurney first and repair any flakes or cracks. Most external paints are self priming and all the ones are Bunnings will work well like Dulux Weathershield or Taubmans All Weather.

Get samples, compare in different lights, paint large samples on your space and see what works for you. I'd avoid doing a red driveway because it will be hard to tie in well with the roof.

Hi @redbournreno 

Thank you for that great insight and letting me know about that i should also think about the garage colour and colouring the gutter as well. The colour of the roof is burgundy and i know the red brick colour is not going much with the same and also my driveway is almost red colour, I feel its too much of red and i am not liking it much. Will have a look at what you suggested and try out some combination. Thanks Again

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects