Workshop
Ask a question

How to permanently fix outdoor roller blind?

victoriacalhoun
Finding My Feet

How to permanently fix outdoor roller blind?

IMG_1013.jpegIMG_1022.jpegIMG_3411.jpegIMG_3412.jpegOutdoor Roller Blind

Permanently fix outdoor roller blind to either the deck or the ground.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what I can do to permanently fix this outdoor roller blind to either the deck or the ground? I will keep the hand crank, but don’t intend to use it.

1. It has seen better days so it is more of a prototype than anything (aka one of the photos show that the steel pole came completely out of its sewn pocket, but I have fixed that).
  2. It faces East so when it is down and the Easterly is in it bangs like mad.
  3. I don’t want to have it up as it still provides privacy.
  4. It’s 2800 drop x 4100 wide and made of actual sail material. It has a steel pole in the bottom which is supposed to fit into channels, but constantly comes loose.
  5. Do I need to have some kind of bungee so it doesn’t tear to sheds? I did consider bungees and D-bolts fixed to either the deck or putting footings in the grass between the concrete path and the deck (ie where it drops exactly).
  6. Can I pack out the channels so the steel bottom rail doesn’t come out.
  7. Does anyone have any experience with Shade Grip from Bunnings? I would still need to pack out the channels and drill through the bottom rail to fasten it somehow.
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Outdoor Roller Blind - Permanently fix outdoor roller blind to either the deck or the ground.

Hello @victoriacalhoun 

Thanks for sharing your question about your roller blind. If you're sure you want this permanently fixed to the bottom, I propose using Zenith 12G x 20mm Galvanised Hex Head Metal Screws. Although it is designed to be self-tapping it's best to drill pilot holes in the frame and pipe so that everything is lined up.

I recommend putting one screw on each side of the rail and pipe to prevent it from moving in strong wind. As for the side of the sail, I suggest putting in 42 x 19mm 1.8m DAR Pine Premium - 1.8m into the channel and using Pryda Foil Fix to anchor the sail to the timber.

This should provide a measure of support for the sail even in strong wind.

Let me call on our experienced members @Nailbag and @Dave-1 for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nailbag
Making a Splash

Re: Outdoor Roller Blind - Permanently fix outdoor roller blind to either the deck or the ground.

Hi @victoriacalhoun how damaged is the blind and track? In other words is it time to replace and rethink the options for a more secure system such as Bistro Blinds which have heavy duty zippers running down each side when the blind is down to provide a very stable fix. Then the zippers are up to allow the blind to roll up to the desired height. They come with fixings points to the ground when rolled down for attentional support.

regards, Nailbag

Thanks Eric. I love the way you think. AND that you can decipher what I'm asking!!! 

I definitely want to fix it permanently & will use your suggestions for the channel. That actually should stop most of the crashing and banging of the steel rod. I'll do that first. Because of the channels, unless I put a couple of footings in the grass in the 390mm gap between the deck and the concrete path, I can't secure it to the ground though (or the deck or the path) without lifting the galvanised rail out of the channels.

Thanks Nailbag. I would normally say for sure to replace it, but this house is eventually going to be developed so I'm rationalising $. To be honest, I agree, the span is way too wide for just one blind.

The blind itself is definitely not glamorous, but I resecured the galvanised rod to the bottom of the blind using Buildex screws I had left over.  in one of the pics you can see the rod that decided to take itself on a holiday. It was stitched in & tbh never functioned properly. It is not quite long enough to seat completley in the channels. At the time, I was just working too much to bother to complain to the company.

It's the banging that drives me nuts. & it is not an entrance way as it has a daybed up against it. Hence why I am happy for it to be permanently down. Blind bottom rail.jpg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning @victoriacalhoun 

That banging would evbentually get to me as well I must admit.

I like @EricL 's solution with securing the bar and also putting in DAR to the channels It will limit the ability for the sail to blow/lift up in the wind.

Apart from that if the Bottom Bar decides to go on another holiday then on the the inside you could secure a piece of timber all the way across at the bottom (screwed to the channels) and use those same pryda foil fix that Eric mentions to secure the bottom of the rail.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects