Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Outdoor bench - First project ever

TheCouchman
Building a Reputation

Outdoor bench - First project ever

Hey there...

I’m new to this site and new to woodworking. I’ve never been a handy person and so I’m as surprised as anyone at my recent interest. I was diagnosed with depression at the start of the year and discovered that doing things around the house are a great therapy for me. My first attempt at anything serious was a bench for out the back.  I’ve kept it simple using a 2.4m treated pine sleeper. I asked the guys at Bunnings to cut 2 x 450mm legs for me and the rest would become the seat.

Here’s the result... all that’s needed is a stain and it’s done. There’s some rough bits and thof joins could be better, but it’s stable and I’m really happy with my first effort. Once it’s done it will go out the back near our fire pit. 

Looking forward to getting more inspiration here. 

Adam9ED35400-0A58-4488-AFA9-8A09020F4F66.jpegThe finished product!

F73B2F57-DBF6-4A0B-A34A-674306C5072C.jpeg

23E68180-F893-4B3D-AE0D-A17CD0FA2BED.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Outdoor bench - First project ever

It looks fantastic Adam (@TheCouchman). Well done! 

There's lots of keen woodworkers of all abilities in the community that I'm sure would be happy to assist you as you develop your woodworking skills and knowledge. Please post anytime you need a hand or have something to share. There's also some handy tips here.

I'm sure you could relate to @Wayne's fantastic personal story here - https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Blog/Out-of-the-darkness/ba-p/5243

Other keen woodworkers in the community include @AndrewJones - https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Blog/Handmade-and-built-to-last/ba-p/4650 - and @r23on - https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Blog/A-lifelong-fascination-with-the-way-things-work/ba-p/19843 and @She_Skills - https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Blog/Encouraging-more-women-to-D-I-Y/ba-p/1658

Looking forward to reading about your upcoming projects and plans.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Allan72
Having an Impact

Looks great Adam @TheCouchman!! Don’t worry about the joins. They look good, tight, suit the style of the piece; and as you’ve said - they’re stable!!

Yorky88
Becoming a Leader

Well done @TheCouchman looks great. And good on you for Aknowledging and talking about your depression. being hands on is definately great therapy and if you need ideas or just need advice or just want chat then hit me up. Happy to help anytime.

TheCouchman
Building a Reputation

Thanks Yorky. I'll definitely keep that in mind.

That looks fabulous @TheCouchman!  I think I'll suggest this for my young adult son.  I'd love to have a couple of these outside. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for joining in the discussion and making your first post @LouLou. Great to have you join us! We look forward to reading about your projects and plans.

Please feel free to post anytime you need a hand or have something to share. And let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site or have any feedback about how we can make Workshop even more useful to you.

Welcome,

Jason

ChrisTheTiler
Getting Established

That is great.

Thanks for joining the discussion @ChrisTheTiler. I'm sure @TheCouchman appreciates the feedback. 

We look forward to reading about your own projects and plans. Feel free to post anytime you need a hand or have something to share. We have loads of experienced members sharing their knowledge and experience. And please let me know if you need any assistance getting the most from this site, or have any feedback about how we can further improve Workshop for you.

Welcome to the community.

Jason

cate101
Just Starting Out

Looks great - how did you join the pieces? 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects