Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Outdoor bench seats and planter boxes

Poppop
Making a Splash

Outdoor bench seats and planter boxes

IMAG1452_1.jpg
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Outdoor bench seats and planter boxes made from Bunnings fence palings

Looks brilliant @Poppop. Many thanks for sharing. I'm sure this will inspire many Workshop community members. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Old-gal24
Becoming a Leader

Re: Outdoor bench seats and planter boxes

Hello  @Poppop   the fence pailings you used for this lovely project. are they the treated pine ones?   I would guess so, as I've never seen any others at Bunnings and I just about live there.  Very lucky as my local store is approx 2km away.

They would be perfect for out door jobs.  Will keep that in mind for future projects.

Ta Old Gal

Poppop
Making a Splash

Yes @Old-gal24  They are the treated pine palings. I use them to make garden boxes, wishing wells, garden bridges and a lot of other projects. Their only downfall is, as they aren't kiln dried, they can shrink as they dry causing gaps. Not so much with garden/ veggie boxes as the moisture keeps the wood swolen. But other pieces can shrink up to 5mm in width. I usually keep a dozen or so up in the rafters of my shed to dry out for future use. I strap them down to avoid twisting and warping.

MR
Just Starting Out

Hi Poppop.

This looks fantastic, are you happy to share the building measurements/plans?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @MR,

Welcome to Workshop. Great to have you join us and get inspiration from one of our clever and creative members. Let me tag @Poppop for you so he is alerted to your question. I'm sure he'll be happy to help you as much as possible to replicate these fantastic bench seats and planter boxes. We also have loads of other members sharing helpful advice and inspiring projects every day.

Looking forward to seeing how your project comes together.

Jason

Poppop
Making a Splash

Hi @MR. Thanks for the comment. As with most things that i make, the plans are all in my head. I can tell you that the measurements are 1400mm x 400mm x 400mm. That makes the best use of the 1.8m x 100mm palings. I used 70mm x 35mm pine to make 4 squares for the frame.400mm x 400mm (See attached photo) Then screwed the palings to the frame on three sides leaving the underside hollow.. These seats are actually just an upside down version of the garden boxes i make.  The planter boxes are 400mm x400mm x 400mm. They are 300mm deep (3 palings) on 400mm legs. With 2 palings across the bottom to sit the plants onbench seat.jpg

MR
Just Starting Out

Hi @Poppop 

Thank you for your reply and measurements. 

Are the 4 sides of planterboxes screwed together on the edges?

I have yet to see your garden boxes but I'll go looking :smile:

Poppop
Making a Splash

Hi  @MR . The horizontal boards are screwed to the vertical corner legs from the inside with 8g x25mm screws.screws for planter box.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great stuff @Poppop, many thanks for sharing.

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects