Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Outdoor cleaning tips

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Outdoor cleaning tips

Spring is approaching and we're seeing many members getting their outdoor areas ready to make the most of the incoming warmer weather, including alfresco areas and backyards.

You can find some helpful cleaning tips in our Best Advice articles, including: 

The Bunnings team has also shared several guides on cleaning different parts of your home, including Your outdoor spring-cleaning checklist

I'd love to hear any additional outdoor cleaning hacks or products that you've found particularly helpful by replying to this discussion below. 

Pictured: Experienced Workshop member Jess (@prettyliving)'s Paver refresh with paint.

Akanksha

Paver refresh using paint.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Outdoor cleaning tips

Good morning @Akanksha 

Strange that you posted the cleaning outside lol I am currently trying to shift some flaky old patio paint :surprised: I am using a gifted high pressure water cleaner. Its moving along slowly. The tips of pressure cleaning made a lot of sense. 01 06-08-2023.jpgBefore I started using the pressure cleaner02 06-08-2023.jpg

03 06-08-2023.jpg

After I had been at it for an hour and a bit, I have considered hiring a more powerful water blaster but "shrug" then it will take longer to save for the timber for the handrails :smile: 

04 06-08-2023.jpg

The paint is in pretty bad condition, I dont like paint on concrete but have come to the realisation that it will look tidier if I repaint it again. The last photo is the area yet to be really worke dover. The paint looks more fixed to the concrete here. 

Dave

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hello @Dave-1,

Glad you found the tips on pressure cleaning useful and that they're helping you with your patio paint project. I do agree that a coat of paint will help improve the look of your space. Paint can really work wonders, doesn't it?

Keep us updated as your project progresses. I'd love to see the final photos of how you've managed to clean and refresh your patio area. 

Akanksha 

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

With the holiday season round the corner, it's the perfect time to refresh and clean our outdoor spaces to make them look more presentable and ready for entertaining. 

Hope the above resources help with your outdoor cleaning projects. You can find more related tips in our Best Advice section which has been updated to include articles like How do you apply deck cleaner?

Feel free to share any cleaning tips or advice you have personally found useful in your experience. 

Akanksha

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning All

The first thing that comes to mind is to actually factor in and allow for drainage/airflow when you are building the outside area. I mean leave the bottom gap of a privacy screen or the edge of the balcony with enough space for leaves and water to blow through. It will aid in drying the area and at the same time stop the leaf bunnies from building up. I had an outside bench that had a low level to it and leaves would always rack up against it causing water to pool and just look untidy.

If you have a paved area or concreted area think of what you intend to place along the edge and where the storm water will go. It saves me time having to "tidy" up later.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects