Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

PVC Pipes for rainwater: Dismantling and reUsing

bm
Cultivating a Following

PVC Pipes for rainwater: Dismantling and reUsing

Hi, newbie here and newbie to diy :smile:

I am planning to realign this  pvc piping positions  and so wondering if there is a way i can dismantle the existing setup  to be reused.

The question really is : Once you join using pvc pipes by applying the cement onto the couplings, how do you unjoin them?  do they come off easily ?

Thanks

pvc.jpg

thanks

BM

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: PVC Pipes for rainwater: Dismantling and reUsing

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @bm. We're pleased to have you with us and look forward to reading more about all your projects around the house and garden. Please feel free to post anytime you need a hand or have something new to share with other members.

Let me tag some helpful community members who might like to share their thoughts on this plumbing job with you: @Brad, @redracer01, @JDE, @Former Workshop member

I'm sure @MitchellMc would also be happy to assist when he is back onboard on Friday. 

Please let me know if you ever need help getting the most from the site, or have any feedback about how we can improve Workshop for you.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

No easy job to take them apart!

Hot air gun might do it and clean up is with acetone or sanding.

If you don't have a heat gun then the cheaper option is to cut the joints and start again.

bm
Cultivating a Following

Thank you @Brad  @Jason 

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @bm 

The blue glue used on pvc rain water pipes has been formulated to fuse the two pieces together forming a rigid water tight seal that prevents leaks. You could take them apart some will be easy others won't, depends on how much glue was used. But most often those ends will be ruined and will no longer rejoin the part you originally took them out of. Best advice is from @Brad cut it and use new parts to rejoin the lot. Good luck and stay safe.

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects