Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Paint or seal alfresco brick pavers?

shopuz
Just Starting Out

Paint or seal alfresco brick pavers?

Hi, my brick pavers are not in great shape. I am looking to either paint or seal. However most sealers are recommended on 100% dry surfaces. Because the pavers are under pergola, they dont get any sun and I can see some moist area. I have tried using some outdoor cleaning chemicals and pressure wash. It has probably been only 6 months and now I can see a lot of white spots, algae etc.

What is the best way to rejuvenate and protect these ? I think these are clay bricks ?305476032_2642033972598050_2480715513923985339_n.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Paint or Seal alfresco brick pavers ?

Hello @shopuz

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about painting or sealing your brick pavers.

There are several options when it comes to painting or sealing your brick pavers. If you wish to be able to see the natural colour and finish of your paving, I suggest using a sealer. However, if you're thinking of changing the colour of your brick pavers, I propose painting them.  

Since the area is well covered and you are worried about its dampness, I suggest hiring an Air Blower to force dry your alfresco. The same blower can be used to dry your floor area once you've applied the paint or sealer. Because of its location, it's possible that the drying time might be extended more than what's normally expected. 

My best tip for this project is to make sure that you'll be getting good weather for at least 7 to 10 days before applying the paint or sealer. If it's excessively humid or there is too much rain it will extend the drying time even further.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to seal outdoor pavers.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
shopuz
Just Starting Out

Thank you @EricL 

Could you please point me to some of the paints or sealers suitable for brick pavers ?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @shopuz

A good example of a sealer is the Crommelin 1L Natural Finish Penetrating Sealer And Water Repellent. It repels water, preventing the degradation of the substrate. It resists mould growth & suppresses efflorescence (white salts). It's UV stable & non-yellowing and is easy to maintain and re-coat. Plus it retains the natural appearance of the substrate & does not increase surface slipperiness.

An example of a paver paint would be the White Knight 1L White Heavy Duty Ultra Pave Concrete And Paving Paint. It is suitable for use on concrete areas such as garage floors, driveways, paths, patios, courtyards, and other high-traffic areas. If you are on the Bunnings website simply type in "pave paint" or "pave sealer" in the search bar to see all the other products.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects