Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Painting weatherboards

Tom
Getting Established

Painting weatherboards

Paintbrush.jpg

Any recommendations around painting weatherboards?

I'd like a good finish to freshen up the place with a new colour.

The house is a 1956 beauty, so I am unsure but assume it's painted with lead paint.

What can I do to determine if it's lead paint before I attempt to fix up some of the boards?

snichols
Building a Reputation

Re: Painting Weatherboards

Hi @Tom

We used to have a weatherboard so have been down this road. Do be careful with lead paint. The older the house the more likely it is to have lead paint. You can get a simple instant lead test from Bunnings. 

What you do next if it does contain lead really depends on the condition of the boards and paint. Is it all flaking off and chalky? You don't want to have lead-filled dust contaminating your soil and getting on other surfaces, being consumed by pets and touched by kids, etc.

If its in bad condition you might be best to get a professional in. If its in good condition you should be able to paint over it without too many dramas after a light clean with sugar soap.

This might be helpful - http://www.environment.gov.au/protection/publications/lead-alert-six-step-guide-painting-your-home

Good luck,

Sarah

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Tom,

I see new Workshop member @diyhack also has a weatherboard that he says is "in constant need of maintenance". He might be able to assist with some weatherboard painting tips.  

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Tom
Getting Established

Thanks @Sarah,

The article had some really helpful information about not disturbing the paint and info about caring for my health & that of my family. Amazing to think that prior to 1950s paint contained up to 50% lead before reducing to less than 1% by the 1970s. 

I've also decided to just replace some of the poorer boards to avoid any risk. I might have a look online for some other information about doing this myself.

I've also found that 3M sell a lead tester kit with 2 testing strips for around $25 bucks so I'll give this a go to confirm. 

I've started to wash it down with sugar soap and it's actually coming up amazing well considering its age. 

So thanks for the tips!

Tom 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Tom,

Just wondering how your project is going?

Feel free to post again if you need any advice or recommendations from the Workshop community. It would also be great if you could share some photos of your handiwork when you get a chance.

Jason

Tom
Getting Established

Howdy @Jason

The painting is coming along, but it's not quite finished yet.

I need to do the windows, boards and guttering so there is a bit to go.

I'm a bit stuck on the colour matching for the guttering & base boards but I have my very own mini exterior designer helping to pick the right colours!

Cheers,

Tom

Painting 1.jpg 

Painting Weatherboards

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Looking great @Tom, thanks for giving us a glimpse. 

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects