Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Patio makeover ideas

AG
Finding My Feet

Patio makeover ideas

Hello Everyone, 

hope you all are staying safe! 

A776B62A-0DC9-48FC-AE7A-427CC0529C24.jpeg

This is my first post and discovering joys of deciding between range of options on how to re-do our UNCOVERED PATIO at the back of the house. We’ve recently moved into our first house so I’m keen to explore world of D.I.Y and have already made more trips to Bunnings for small things than for groceries.  I’ve added a photo and currently it’s seems like a concrete floor painted over. The paint has chipped at places and there were cracks in the floor that we have filled as you can probably see from the picture.

I’m seeking advice on how best to re-do this space:

1. Should I just paint over it? I looked up some textured paint (Rustoleum??)
  2. Should I get epoxy flooring/paint?
  3. Modular decking? The area is uncovered and has a drainage right in the middle plus a couple of steps leading to garage in the corner. Can put a pergola or umbrella in but will still need to think of drainage and area where decking won’t go.
  4. Non-slippery tiles?

Above all, as almost everyone would like to keep the cost to a min or rather make it more cost effective. If I were to put a number - probably 1k-2k. I’m fairly new to the country and haven’t had any previous experience on such renovations or constructions.

Looking forward to hearing ideas from the community.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Patio makeover ideas

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @AG. Many thanks for your question, I'd be pleased to assist.

It's great to have you join us and fantastic to hear about your new project. I think the area would look amazing with decking, but you would be pushing the 2k budget.

New paint would certainly freshen up the area and look much better than the current paint. We have a wide range of heavy-duty concrete floor paints and there is no necessity to go with an epoxy-based version. If you do decide to paint, you might want to go over those filled cracks with an abrasive disk to make sure the transitions are nice and smooth. If the filler is proud of the surface the repair will show through the final paint finish.

Let me mention some helpful community members @Brad, @Kermit and @JDE to see if they might like to join the conversation.

We look forward to your patio makeover project coming together and can't wait to see the results.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

+1 to decking, a well maintained and built deck looks good.

Rustoleum textured paint looks good, I don't have the bricks to suit the limited colours available but it looks like you do.

Berger Jet Dry I have used on a clients driveway transition and is my first choice if going for a paving paint.

Pavers I have used out the back, I am a bit iffy on if I like them or not.

Tiles I failed to be the 3rd generation tiler and my father chose serving in WW2 over tiling so I may be a bit biased against them but done right they do look better than pavers.

JDE
Becoming a Leader

AG

Just another suggestion have you thought of getting it stenciled? Basically a thin layer of coloured concrete which can gives a 3d effect and aĺlows you to put any pattern you want. 

JDE

Thanks Mitchell, appreciate the inputs. 

AG
Finding My Feet

Thanks Brad

AG
Finding My Feet

Thanks JDE, 

FrankC
Growing in Experience

hello @AG, welcome

I looked at your options, and the first thing that hit me was , your finances.  Don';t know the focal length of you lens but your patio looks  to be around 35 sq.m. Non slippery tiles,  you're looking around $2K +, plus your adhesive..  Epoxy paint, too big an area I think, but I could be wrong on that. Rustoleum is popular in America i believe. #3, agree there with your problem, but timber decking would help with that step at the door, and well enhance the appearance  and value.. #1 is probably the easiest  option, and for that, there are lots of help from everyone here, that will set you on the right path, see previous communications on th subject.  have a great time, and don 't forget, ask, ask, no matter how small the question might be, especially as you're new to DIY.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects