Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Paver edging question - to pebble or not?

pwanda888
Finding My Feet

Paver edging question - to pebble or not?

Hi folks, need your advice.  Just put in porcelain pavers next to the concrete driveway.  I excavated soil, then added roadbase layer followed on top by sand layer.  There is a small gap between the pavers and the driveway concrete which I've tried filling with gravel.  However, the gravel layer is quite shallow and they are easily dispersed when walking over them.

Is there a better way to fill the gap or stabilise the gravel?  I am open to any suggestion.

Thank you!IMG_4767.jpegIMG_4768.jpeg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Paver edging question - to pebble or not?

Afternoon @pwanda888 

I really like your paving idea :smile: And did you plan for that width or was it just luck? (I had some concrete cut and was lucky pavers just fitted :smile: )

Instead of stones would you consider using some Merbau decking and either cutting it lengthways half the width (ripping the timber) or leaving it as and putting it in that verticaly between the concrete driveway and tiles? I know its timber in the ground but its hardwood and if you oiled it again before putting it in it might be ok. 

If you did a whole large rectangular box deal that would frame the pavers nicely and do away with the need for pebbles?

Dave

Hi @Dave-1 thanks for reply.

The concrete driveway the pavers are abutting do not have clean vertical edges, unfortunately.  So I cannot use the very nice merbau decking to slot in, unfortunately.  

I thought about putting in a strip of artificial turf instead.  Not sure.  

Thanks anyhoo

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @pwanda888

Rats! mmmm How about pratia pendunculata or zoysia zoysia tenuifolia instead? Just make sure the ground is a little lower in the chanel so foot traffic dosnt hurt the plants so much as the become established?

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @pwanda888 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about paver edging.

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Dave-1. If you do decide to use artificial turf, I suggest using Selleys 350g Heavy Duty Liquid Nails. It is very strong and designed for outdoor use.

My only other suggestion is to explore the possibility of making the channel deeper. If you manage to go just another 30mm deep, it will provide enough space for the pebbles to settle in and not get kicked around.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects