Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Pimp my cubby project

JessR
Just Starting Out

Pimp my cubby project

I've been living out my home decorating dream vicariously through decorating the cubby house that my father bought for my daughter from Bunnings for around $ 100.  This is a job that is easy to do on the weekend and just add to. The work was made much harder by having a Little Helper each step of the way but made for some nice bonding time during Sydney Lockdown. 

We loved the natural wood colour of the flat pack cubby so just went with a red roof and trim. As it is in a small courtyard with full sun and not cover from the rain, I did multiple sealing coats of paint, inside and out. 

I added a letter box, door bell, handles, house numbers, bubble wand holder and flower decorations for the outside (all from Bunnings except the doorbell), and then a phone, mirror, shelf, chalkboard, lock and hand painted  flower decorations inside. A small Ikea chair (orange as it was inherited), cushion from Bunnings and the rubber gym mat for flooring finish it off in comfort. 

The aim is practical but entertaining for my then 18month old. She is now 2 and still plays with the cubby daily.   Her favourite thing is a small hook lock on the door - she spends hours locking up her house! She also loves having a mailbox and we regularly post surprises there for her. 

Biggest problem is that I'm running out of space to put things, but still have so many ideas (might need to get a bigger cubby house - for her of course!) 

PXL_20211028_010012805.jpg

IMG-20210821-WA0017.jpg

received_897277300863961.jpeg

received_2648799045426636.jpeg

PXL_20211028_005946992.jpg

Screenshot_20211103-221731.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Pimp my Cubby Project

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @JessR. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your cubby house project.

What a beautifully coloured cubby house. That red roof really makes it stand out. I love the mailbox surprise. I'm guessing this is the first thing she checks before going inside the house? Putting the rubber gym mat is an excellent idea. What other items were you thinking of putting in the cubby house? Don't be surprised, but there are parents, who've done exactly what you've just said and purchased another cubby house and joined them together. With a second room available, you'll have all the space you need to add more decoration.

Again, thank you so much for sharing your cubby house project, we look forward to seeing the next upgrade to the house.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Pimp my cubby project

Hi @JessR 

What a sweet little cubby house for your sweet little one!

I adore the bumble bee and flower theme, your painting skills on the mirror are superb!

If you are decorating the cubby for the holiday season definitely update us with some photos. 

Katie 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects