Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Preparation for painting concrete with cracks and old flaked apint

FrankC
Growing in Experience

Preparation for painting concrete with cracks and old flaked apint

I have a concrete verandah covered in old paint and some cracks. I want to change the colour, and not sure whether I should remove all the old paint, and what is good for thge cracks , please

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Preparation for painting concrete with cracks and old flaked apint

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @FrankC. Many thanks for your question, I'd be pleased to assist.

It's great to have you join us and we look forward to giving advice on your project. I'd recommend you start by cleaning up all the cracks and removing and debris that might be trapped in them. Once the cracks are clean, apply Timbermate 500g Concremate Expanding Cement as per the directions on the packaging. 

After you have allowed the product to dry completely use a floor scraper to remove any loose paint material. Depending on the thickness of the previous paint layers, you might like to sand down any significant height difference on the edges to ensure a smooth surface.

For the paint, I would suggest Berger Jet Dry as they are superior quality concrete paints and are available in non-slip varieties.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had any questions about the process.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
FrankC
Growing in Experience

Thanks , Muitchell , for your reply. The current paint is a very thin layer, that thin you could sand it by hand, rather than an orbital sander, which I shall probably uise  with a 400 grit, ( I said it was thin  :smile: )   After using the Timbermate, it wuill probably need sanding so will wait and dop the whole job in one go..  Yes I was thinking  of using Berger jet Dry.  or White Knight, but I don't think my local Bunnings stock White Knight, paints  (Devonport, Tasmania ) It is not very big store. I previously used Northlakes Bunnings in Qld, the largest in Australia  when i lived there.

Many thanks.

FrankC

P.S can the Berger aint be tinted to a desired colour.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@FrankC

You will certainly get the best adhesion from the new paint if you fill the cracks first and then sand the whole area in one go. After having a look at our website, it appears Devonport does stock the White Knight paving paints as it's showing we have stock there. White Knight is also great quality paint and there is no reason why you couldn't use their products instead.

Here's the range of colours in which Berger Jet Dry can be tinted. The White knight Ultra Pave can be tinted to thousands of colours form the Taubmans range.

We look forward to seeing your finished project and would encourage you to share your results with the community.

Please let me know if there is any additional information you needed or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects