Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Ramset Ankascrew vs. Dynabolt sleeve anchor for deck ledger to brick?

DIYKeith
Cultivating a Following

Ramset Ankascrew vs. Dynabolt sleeve anchor for deck ledger to brick?

A595E25A-753D-4D70-B71D-FA2457EDA85C.jpeg

Hi there, I’m building a low deck that will sit on short posts (the whole backyard is brick-courtyard with sandstone underneath so will be digging and setting posts in concrete (removing bricks). I’ll attach the ledger to the house to the brick shown in the photo using a dampcourse and a 45 x 140 ledger board. I’ve seen this previous post, (https://www.workshop.bunnings.com.au/t5/Outdoor/How-to-connect-ledger-board-to-house/m-p/86830#M1258...)  but my question is: Should I use the Ramset Ankascrews or Dynabolt sleeve anchors to attach it!? And what’s the best size to use? I’ve read different opinions of both so would appreciate any tips on which to use in this scenario. The house is about 30 years old, I’ll be attaching at floor level, and don’t believe it’s double brick. Thanks! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Ramset Ankascrew vs. Dynabolt sleeve anchor for deck ledger to brick?

Hi @DIYKeith,

I'd suggest using either Dynabolts if these are solid bricks or if they're hollow bricks threaded rod that you've Chemset into the brick. Sleeve anchors don't grip very well if the bricks are hollow, and the Chemset is more likely to fill the voids.

I'd recommend using a 12mm threaded rod or 12mm x 125mm Dynabolts. With either option, you'll want the fixing at least 1/2 to 3/4 the way into the depth of the brick.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
DIYKeith
Cultivating a Following

Hi @MitchellMc @, thanks! I’m a fan of Chemset so that sounds good. In cases like this (low deck), is it even worth trying to see if one can fix to the studs or is Chemset advanced enlightenment m hollow brick to negate this? In any case, how far apart should each chemset fastener be along the ledger? Thanks again

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@DIYKeith,

Is there a crawl space under the house where you can locate the rear side of the floor bearers? If not, attaching the ledger to the bricks would be best. You wouldn't attach a ledger to studs.

Fasteners every 600mm would be sufficient.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
DIYKeith
Cultivating a Following

Hi @MitchellMc. no, no crawl space unfortunately.  Chemset to brick sounds like the simplest and will space it at least every 600m. Thanks!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects