Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Recommendations for gap along fence

CookedBread
Just Starting Out

Recommendations for gap along fence

Hi there, 

I recently had some concreting work done and my backyard in the process of being levelled. My block had quite a slope towards the back fence, so a retaining wall was installed and filled in.

For both the concrete and the retaining wall, there is a small gap with has been left to keep both off the already installed fence which I am looking for advice on filling in. For the gap between the concrete and fence, I have been told large river rock is a good option as it allows water to drain to keep the fence from rotting. Is this true? 
I am mainly unsure about what I can do with the gap between the retaining wall and fence. At its deepest, its about 1m roughly from the top of the wall to the ground. I have small children, so wondering what is the best way I can block/fill this gap, whilst not exposing the fence to increased deterioration? 

Any help would be much appreciated. I have added pictures of the areas for referenceConcrete gapConcrete gapWall gapWall gap

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Recommendations for gap along fence

OK, sorry, @ela123, I misinterpreted your question. So, it's not the gap at the front of the property you want to cover, as per my images; it's the gap between the corrugated retaining wall and the fence.

What about using screening panels for the front and a length of 140mm decking for a capping piece? The capping piece can be held on the fence side with angle brackets installed into the posts. By encapsulating the corrugated panel in timber, it avoids having to disturb it at all.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects