Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Refreshing Mimosa outside wooden furniture

Marija
Finding My Feet

Refreshing Mimosa outside wooden furniture

table and chairstable and chairsIMG_0469.jpg

Dear Bunnings,

I have Mimosa outdoor furniture (Honolulu) that I purchased from you about 2 years ago. Table, 4 xchair, bench, sun-lounge. I would like to clean them up and make them look brand new. can you please give me advice of what i need and how to do it. I am 70 years old, so nothing strenuous. Or better still, do you provide a service that will handle this job.

Kind regards,

Marija.

Prawns
Becoming a Leader

Re: Refreshing Mimosa outside wooden furniture

Just for your info - if you think you might need help or end up needing somebody else to do the job (or perhaps you dont have all the tools)  It might be worth looking up your local "mens shed" where blokes all get together and build things together and help each other out. Usually they also have basic tools onsight and plenty of advice also - and its a great way to meet new people and tinker along with your projects? Just a idea is all be a nice little project to take there (I bet theres somebody there that would do the job for you cheap if it comes to that)

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Marija,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're so pleased to have you join us and trust you'll get loads of helpful information, advice and inspiration from our wonderful members.

You might like to start by taking a look at @MitchellMc's instructions in this recent discussion, although your setting looks in better shape so might not require as much work - How to restore outdoor furniture

I will also ask Mitchell to assist you when he is back on the site tomorrow.

If you are looking to find someone who might do this project for you, we would encourage you to visit a site like Airtasker or Hipages as this is primarily a D.I.Y. forum.  

All the best,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Marija.

It's great to have you join us.

The setting has received a fair bit of sun and you've likely skipped some seasonal oilings. It could do with a light sand to restore the timber colour before re-oiling. I understand that is a lot of work and the next best thing would be to scrub it down with some Intergrain 1L UltraPrep Timber Cleaner. Once you have cleaned it down with the UltraPrep you can use a furniture oil on it to nourish the timber. This oil should be applied yearly to avoid the timber becoming grey, dried out and eventually cracking and splintering.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had any questions.

Mitchell

Hi MitchellMc,

You mention "a light sand". How do I do that?

Marija.

Good idea, thankyou.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Marija,

You would give the furniture a light sanding with a sanding tool or by hand with a sanding sponge. This would involve several hours worth or sanding as there are many intricate spots to reach. I would consider this quite strenuous work. Personally, I would advise using the UltraPrep product first and seeing how well it restores the colour of the timber. You can then either choose to sand it back further or simply coat with an oil.

It's borderline needing to be sanded at the moment, that is why I am questioning whether it is worth the effort. If it was starting to splinter then you would definitely need to sand.

Perhaps us the Ultra-Prep product and then post some additional images for us to have a look at.

Mitchell

Hi MitchellMc,

I have noticed some splintering, so I think I will have to sand. One of your contributors suggested contacting Mens Shed. I have sent them an email about someone doing the job, but reading the advice again, it looks like I would have to get the furniture there. Looking at what has to be done I think it is best for me to get someone to do it, but thanks to you I know what products are required.

Regards,

Marija.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects