Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Removable outdoor area for a rental home

klcowan
Finding My Feet

Removable outdoor area for a rental home

I moved into a rental with no nice outdoor area. After time to consider what I could do without damaging the property I came up with an idea. I acquired some skids from work to use as a base. I coated the bottom of them with bitumen paint. Got hold of some plywood for the top. Painted it with outdoor paint. A friend had a shade shelter that they never used. And what a blessing as it fitted perfectly in the space. I picked up some bluestone pavers to put pots on and purchased new plants. Now I just have to get decent grass to grow. 

FD2585A6-9B8A-4102-B9CF-80E46BA19C20.jpeg

0336FB8F-D51D-41F9-A339-EAFECF0263B7.jpeg

D65E0859-D2C2-4041-97C0-E98B5364E6D0.jpeg

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Removable outdoor area for a rental home

Hi @klcowan,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community! It is awesome to have you join us and share your removeable outdoor area project. You'll find Workshop as a great source of inspiration and advice for both renters and home owners alike. If you ever need assistance with the site please do reach out. 

This is such a clever solution to creating a shaded outdoor space in a rental! I am sure this new area will be a big hit this summer. Was the process of applying bitumen paint easy to do? Any words of advice for other renters out there looking to do a similar project? 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Baretta11
Becoming a Leader

Re: Removable outdoor area for a rental home

@klcowan 

What a fabulous transformation where other renters might never go as far and suffer as a consequence, you have made this place your home for as long as you are there and it really looks amazing.

I'm sure this will inspire many renters with possibilities.

Welcome to the community.

Cheers,

Barbara

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects