Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Remove mould from external sandstone wall

SoMuch2Do
Cultivating a Following

Remove mould from external sandstone wall

I have an external retaining wall - concrete blocks which has been clad with thick sandstone tiles and sealed, some 15 years ago.  The wall is now dirty and has what looks like black mould.  I soaked the wall, then scrubbed it with brick and stone degreaser/cleaner, and rinshed it which has helped  but it still shows stain spots. Beforeand below after scrubbing After

Any suggestions?

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Re: Remove mould from external slate wall

@SoMuch2Do

I would have thought a specialty paver cleaner would do the job. You could also try more natural methods like white vinegar and tea tree oil. I imagine you can't blast the wall with a high pressure cleaner as the slate might chip off?

SoMuch2Do
Cultivating a Following

oops, sorry I meant sandstone not slate.  Unfortunately vinegar and other acid based cleaners will damage the sandstone.

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Ah, no worries @SoMuch2Do. Tried chlorine?

This video used something called Oxy-Klenza - might also be worth a try.

SoMuch2Do
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @Kermit - I couldn't find the video link, but did google Oxy-Klenza on Spec-Net.com.au.  I'll try pressure washing, and chlorine and let you know which works.

Hi @SoMuch2Do.

The link was on the words "this video" on Kermit's post above.

Good luck with the cleaning.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
amigo
Finding My Feet

Chlorine will definately do the job.Dissolve about one quarter of a small cup of granular pool chlorine in a bucket of water,then paint on with old paint brush,cover wall thoroughly, leave for an hour or so then hose off.Make sure you wear rubber gloves ,eye protection and old clothes.Avoid breathing the fumes.The run off will not harm the grass 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for joining in the discussion @amigo. I'm sure @SoMuch2Do will be grateful for your input. 

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to Workshop. I hope you find the site informative (and plenty of fun) and I look forward to seeing more of your posts soon.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
SoMuch2Do
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @amigo and @Jason - I will give it a try when the weather clears up a bit.

SoMuch2Do
Cultivating a Following

Sorry @Jason and @Kermit about not spotting the link.  I thought I had moused over the text as the link doesn't show up as underlined (maybe something to work on please @Jason for future releases).

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects