Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Remove plastic from old metal stands

sandy12
Just Starting Out

Remove plastic from old metal stands

I have an old metal pot stand I wish to bring back to life as it has  part rust and part of the plastic is coming off. I want to know how to get off the rest of the plastic and then clean up and prepare and  paint the metal.

thankyou Sandy

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: old metal stands covered in plastic

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @sandy12. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

If the plastic is brittle I have had success removing it from a similar stand with pliers. If you grip the plastic and then crush and spin it around the metal it should come away. Alternatively, you could place the stand on the ground and tap the plastic with a hammer.

Once the plastic is removed you can use some sandpaper to remove the bulk of the rust. Dulux 300g Metalshield Epoxy Enamel Spray Paint would then be a suitable product to paint the metal stand with.

Let me mention a few helpful D.I.Y. enthusiasts @TedBear, @Stuardo and  @JDE that might have another approach to removing the plastic.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: old metal stands covered in plastic

I think MichellMc's suggestion is worth trying first, but if it doesn't come off that way, you could use a "Strip it" wheel in an electric drill, which should break it off and clear up the rust at the same time. Dust mask required!  To minimise on plastic dust , try running the stripping wheel down the plastic to wear away a strip along the length, then use that break to peel the remainder off. Example of item I'm referring to

https://www.bunnings.com.au/josco-100mm-strip-it-wheel_p6320423

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects