Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Restoring wooden mailbox

Erwin
Getting Established

Restoring wooden mailbox

We bought this from Bunnings over 3 years ago and it didn't take long before it faded. 

May I ask as to how to restore it? How do you properly stain/paint

20220323_121635.jpg

this? 

Thanks very much. 😊 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Restoring wooden mailbox

Thanks for your post @Erwin

Let me tag experienced members @Remarka6le, @Brad and @JDE to see how they would go about restoring and protecting the timber from the elements. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

Pressure wash it first, see if that brings any of the colour back. If you're not a fan of the colour after drying, either remove or cover the metal portions and determine if you want to stain or paint it and get the colour of your choice. I usually just apply stain the same way I apply outdoor paint on wooden objects (with a brush), I've used the Monarch 75mm Woodcare Paint Brush in the past for these things. 

Remarka6le
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Erwin 

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Remarka6le. The key to a good restoration is preparation. If the timber pieces are still in good condition using a pressure washer is a good option. Once the timber is dry, I suggest sanding the surface with an Orbital Sander to remove the splinters from the surface and give the wood a nice flat finish. If parts of the wood still have deep-seated mould, I suggest using 30 Seconds 1L Outdoor Cleaner Spray 

All that's left is to choose what kind of paint or stain you'll be using on the timber pieces. Just keep in mind that whether you choose to paint or stain, a yearly wash and a fresh coat will maintain the look of your letterbox.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your letterbox painted and restored.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects