Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Rusty hole repairs on Colorbond fence

Maureen53
Finding My Feet

Rusty hole repairs on Colorbond fence

I have removed screws from my colourbond fence.

The screws have left holes and rust.

What product is best to repair these holes ready to paint.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Rusty hole repairs on Colorbond fence

Hi @Maureen53,

Would you be able to post some images of the affected areas so our helpful members have a better idea of what they could recommend? I suspect you'll need to sand the rust off the area, fill the holes with something like Selleys 50g Knead It Multipurpose Epoxy Putty, sand that smooth and then topcoat with paint. If the rust is terrible, you might like to apply some rust convertor to those locations as well.

I'll be looking forward to seeing those images.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi MitchellMc

Could I ask for your advise please? 

I am wanting to paint our rear COLORBOND FENCE (currently cream to a black colour) Also our Silver metal pool filter box same colour. Any suggestions and/or tips for a novice DIY newbie??? Obviously during lockdown we can't drop into Bunnings and ask the fabulous paint staff for tips of the trade so I am wanting to purchase online and complete task whilst on stand down from work.

Thanks so much for your help.

Melody

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Melody7. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about painting a Colorbond fence.

If the Colorbond paint is in good condition, you'll need to go over it with a Scotch-Brite 155 x 100mm Non-Scratch Scourer Pad. If the paint is powdery or chalky to the touch, use the Scotch-Brite 155 x 100mm Heavy Duty Scourer Pads instead. You'll then need to wash the fence down with Sugar Soap to remove any residue. Rinse the Sugar Soap off with fresh water and wait for the fence to dry. Apply Dulux PRECISION Maximum Strength Adhesion Primer White to all surfaces. You can then follow that up with two coats of Dulux Weathershield

For the best finish and an easy application, I'd advise you to consider a paint sprayer. You'll achieve a far superior result than if you were to use a brush or roller.

Please let me know if you have any questions about this process.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

thank you so much 😊 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects