Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Should I clean the fence before painting?

annatr
Growing in Experience

Should I clean the fence before painting?

Hi there, 

I'm starting a new project to improve the shady area along the side of our house.  I'm particularly keen to improve the view from the laundry (picture below) and would like to go all out on this small section of the fence by installing a lovely vertical garden....

IMG_3062.jpeg

My first step is going to be to paint the whole fence along the side border of our property (around 30 metres) a charcoal colour.

This product looks to be what I might need...
https://www.bunnings.com.au/walpamur-10l-charcoal-fence-finish_p0018737

However, the fence is looking a bit green in places (see the next two pictures), so I'm not sure if I can paint directly onto the fence, or if I should give it some kind of treatment first... I'd be really grateful for any advice...

IMG_3063.jpegIMG_3064.jpeg

With thanks, 

Anna

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Fence treatment for shady side lane

I'd certainly recommend that you remove that growth before painting @annatr.

Do you have a pressure washer? One would be an effective way of removing the growth from the fence. Alternatively, you can use 30 Seconds 5L Outdoor Cleaner With Power Sprayer and a stiff bristle brush.

Here's a helpful video on preparing and coating an exterior fence. If you can manage within your budget, I'd suggest going for premium paint like Dulux Weathershield. You'll find the coverage and quality to be much better.

What type of vertical planters were you thinking of using?

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
annatr
Growing in Experience

That's all super helpful - thank you @MitchellMc 

I'm not completely decided about my vertical garden solution.  Top of my list of possibilities is the Wallgarden vertical garden system. Some friends of ours have the modular multi-hang vertical garden kit and it looks fabulous.

Wallgarden recommend mounting to 50x50 mesh, so I was thinking of mounting sheets of this mesh https://www.bunnings.com.au/rapidmesh-600-x-1200mm-50-x-50mm-silver-wire-mesh-panel_p0087119 directly against the cross beams of the old fence.  I guess I can just put in some wood screws and use something like this https://www.bunnings.com.au/whites-mesh-panel-fix-clip-50-pack_p3060012 to get them nice and stable....
Does that all sound reasonable to you?

Warm regards,

Anna

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That sounds like it would work a treat @annatr.

I've installed some of these Holman Vertical GreenWall Garden Kits into a large 4 x 1.2m wall. They have a fantastic, fully integrated watering system. Each kit you attach is joined together and irrigated simultaneously. They can all be run off a single tap timer. I've included a picture below of one I did for my local Bunnings store entrance. It's much fuller now and really looks impressive.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
annatr
Growing in Experience

That looks fabulous - thanks again for the advice @MitchellMc 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects