Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Should i sand back deck before restain/oil?

bm77
Getting Established

Should i sand back deck before restain/oil?

8B3F3F6D-62D8-4EFB-8B11-30BA146E72B2.jpeg

5351B2AC-A2E5-47E2-AB42-71A2307F24EA.jpeg

05275F42-4ABB-494B-A601-C97C51D40B2C.jpeg

Could I please get some advice if I need to sand back my merbau deck before re oiling? And If so, do I need to clean it before or after? Is this from weather/sun damage? Any other info would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: should i sand back deck before restain/oil?

Hi @bm77,

You don't need to sand your deck back if you don't want to. However, any preparation work you put in now will add to the finished deck appearance.

Your deck looks like it needs a thorough scrub down with Cabot's deck clean and an Oates Long Handle Deck Scrub Brush. I'm not seeing any particular need to sand at the moment and I would advise you to use the deck cleaning product to see how it comes out. You will be looking for a fairly uniform colouring to the timber. If there is any dramatic staining or inconsistency to the look of the deck after the clean then you should consider sanding.

On sanding, I note your nails look very proud of the surface and will need to be knocked down before you start.

You might be interested in reading through these discussions-

I trust you will also find these step-by-step D.I.Y. tutorials helpful in rejuvenating your deck- 

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
bm77
Getting Established

Great, thanks very much for your help 👍

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@bm77,

I trust our community would like to follow along with your rejuvenation project and would benefit from your results. It would be great if you could take some pictures whilst completing the job and post them here as a follow-up.

Please remember we are here to assist if you run into any difficulties.

Mitchell 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects