Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Sliding lattice screen for basement

sydneysider
Building a Reputation

Sliding lattice screen for basement

Hi there

I am thinking of replacing timber lattice screens we currently have - these are currently fixed on to the piers. 

I would like these to me movable/openable to allow access into the basement. 

I am thinking plastic lattice would be better durability wise and not attract  termites in the long term. 

What is the cheapest way to make them movable to gain access.

Hinge would be good but not sure if I have swinging clearance.

Can you please recommend:

1- lattice or other cheap options as screens. Are timber ones termite proof? or should i go with plastic

2- hinge or sliding. Is there a cheap slding mechanism which will fit my need witouth costing a bomb.

pls see picture attached.

cheers

sliding lattice.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Sliding lattice screen

Hi @sydneysider,

Using a plastic trellis is ideal and will guard you against termites. However, you will still need to build a frame to hold it in place if you decide you want it on a sliding track or a hook system. 

I suggest using this plastic trellis Matrix 1800 x 900 x 6mm Smooth Cream Reeded Square Lattice. It can be painted and cut down to size to fit the opening of the basement. To build a frame around it I suggest using Porta 40 x 18mm 2.4m Treated Pine DAR.  It is treated timber and will resist termite attack. 

Using a hook system would be the easier of the two methods. You can use Adoored Satin Chrome Contempo Hook and hang the trellis and just lift it out of the way when you need to access the basement. If you go for a sliding track system I suggest the Cowdroy 1800mm Quick-Fix Door Track. Just make sure to provide enough spacing for the trellis panels so that they don't hit each other when being opened. 

If you need more information please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
sydneysider
Building a Reputation

Hi @EricL   thanks for the suggestion.

I will go into the local Bunnings and check out the plastic lattice.

I have a question, I definitely like the idea of hanging it by the hook. However if I am just hangingit, do I still need to build the frame? I was hoping the plastic is strong enough to hang by itself.

If I am building a frame, would you pls give me a sketch. as I am unsure if the frame is around (ie outside) the lattice like a picture frame or should I just screw the lattice on to the frame. 

cheers

Hi @sydneysider,

@EricL will be more than happy to help when he's back on the site on Friday. Thanks for your patience in the meantime.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects