Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Spa starter pack - help please

MP2020
Getting Established

Spa starter pack - help please

Hello all. 

We have recently moved my brother's 2x2 spa tub into our backyard and without a manual we are unsure what items we should start to buy for a deep clean and maintenance. We have since run the spa with just water for now and looking at the website there are so many choices and we don't know where to begin. Do we need to replace a filter and the like? 

Also, advise on Bromine vs Chlorine would be appreciated. Is the Hy-Clor 7in1 any good? 

Many thanks.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Spa starter pack - help please

Hi @MP2020

Hope your table makeover is progressing well. We are pleased to have you as a member of the Bunnings Workshop community and look forward to an update when you make progress. 

Apologies that you haven't received a reply from the community as yet about your spa. If you could please provide a little more clarification it might assist members to help you. Can you please clarify whether you are filing the spa each time you want to use it (like a bath) or the water remains (like a pool)? Do you know the make and model of the spa? If not, could you perhaps share some photos of the spa that might help members to identify it and suggest the parts you might need?

Many thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MP2020
Getting Established

Hi Jason. 

The table makeover waits for the reopening so we can visit Bunnings :smile: But I've gathered enough to try and make it look good. 

We think this is the model we have. We would have the water remaining in the tub like a pool - does that help? 

image.png

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @MP2020 

Somewhere in your spa is an element filter, it is about the size of a very large can of peaches. This filter must be cleaned first before you attempt to put chemicals in the spa. Looking at the picture you posted on the lower left hand corner looks like the filter cover. The filter can be gently pulled out and given a thorough clean. Do not use excessive water force or water pressure or you risk tearing the filter. Get a clean container where you can put in some of the water you have placed in your spa. Bring this to a Bunnings store and ask them to test it. The test will reveal what you need to put in your spa water to render it safe for swimming. CAUTION : These chemicals are highly concentrated. Please follow directions on when you can use the spa after putting the chemicals in. You must give the solution time to spread out into and be absorbed in the water. Not giving it time could be dangerous and could cause chemical burns and rashes on your skin. Remember to mention that it is a SPA and not a pool so that the chemical ratio to be recommneded can be adjusted for the amount of water in the spa.  One last reminder, the filter must be cleaned before using the spa every-time as it gathers all manner of dirt in the water. Enjoy the spa this summer!

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

MP2020
Getting Established

Thank you, Red and everyone. This is most helpful. 

Sarah82
Finding My Feet

I have an inground 2000L spa and I swear it’ll be the death of me. One of the first things I did when I bought my unit was to have a pool company come over and go over it and the filter/pump. I then had them teach me the basics. You’ll definitely find this useful in the long run. They’ll show you where things are and what things do, what you need to focus on. 

You should jot down the make/model of the pump and filter as well as the litres it takes because you’ll use the info all the time. I keep details in the notes in my phone. 

When you start playing around with the chemicals you’ve got to be really careful because it’s such a fine line in a spa that doesn’t have as much water as a pool. I’ve had a pool guy work out the chemicals for 20,000L rather than 2000L and I came out with itchy red skin and with bleached clothes. I had to drain the spa. 

I don’t know that you can do it on your style spa but I changed mine to salt water after about two years of the stupid thing turning green all the time. I now manage it really well by tossing in about two cups of pool salt a week and monitoring the various levels with water tests. 

Try to keep a lid/cover over the spa to help reduce evaporation and remember to check out pool fence laws. 
Good luck!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Sarah82. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for jumping into the conversation.

It's great to hear about the experience with your own spa and I trust @MP2020 appreciates the input. Many thanks for sharing you knowledge.

We look forward to hearing more about the projects around your house and garden and would encourage you to let us know if you ever need assistance or had something to share with the community. I trust you'll find loads of inspiration from within the community as our creative members are posting their projects hear every day.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MP2020
Getting Established

Thanks @Sarah82 I am starting to think now why we brought in another piece of something to manage around the house haha. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects