Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Spacing of decking boards - cladding

aaronwier
Cultivating a Following

Spacing of decking boards - cladding

Hey all,

A question regarding decking. I know there is spacing between decking boards (5mm, 3mm etc) but when laying decking boards, do you need to factor in spacing around the perimeter of the deck, ie where end of decking boards meet cladding?

Hope that makes sense, thanks!

aaronwier
Cultivating a Following

Re: spacing of decking boards - cladding

To clarify, i am building a ground level deck and will be cladding the outside with decking board to hide the space underneath 

Hi @aaronwier

Good to see you back on the site. How is your decking project going?

Let me tag some helpful members in @Adam_W, @Brad and @Neo19 who might like to share their thoughts with you.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
aaronwier
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @Jason going well! Frame is up and level, just prepping the decking boards. Will post results once finished

Adam_W
Workshop Legend

Re: Spacing of decking boards - cladding

Hi @aaronwier Short answer... yes, it's good practice to leave a spacing where boards meet other surfaces. The gap allows for expansion, air flow and lets water and small bits of stuff drop through.
Longer answer... If however your slat of decking was running parallel to the wall and there was a bearer or ledger plate underneath or bearer ends would be left exposed by the gap I probably wouldn't leave a gap as material (dirt etc.) may build up in there, retain moisture and lead to rot. Thiose sort of spots can be hard to keep clean
So realistically depends a little on the situation.

aaronwier
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @Adam_W its just around the perimeter where i will enclose the open space with decking board/s (vertically) and that will meet with the decking boards on top.

Another question if i may. Decking screws, how far do you recommend from sides of each decking board for 90mm? I’ve heard 15-20mm

Neo19
Making a Splash

Hi @aaronwier good luck with your project!

I have left a small gap where the top of the cladding meet decking boards on the edge. It's a very small gap though!

As I only used one 140 mm board as cladding, my rationale was that it had enough space to expand to the bottom end.

As my deck was low level and edge  decking boards had a small overhang (just enough to cover the width of the cladding), this gap was practically invisible unless you kneel down and look from the same level of the deck. Does this make sense? 

How high would be the space that you would be covering with cladding? Would you be using multiple boards?

aaronwier
Cultivating a Following

Cheers @Neo19 . One side is a touch highe than the other, but would be a maximum of 2 boards.

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

"Another question if i may. Decking screws, how far do you recommend from sides of each decking board for 90mm? I’ve heard 15-20mm"

For appearance I use the same distance for the sides as I have come down from the end would possibly that doesn't match the Australian Standard Code though.

aaronwier
Cultivating a Following

So decking boards almost done

8AD86AC1-9084-4313-A442-B99C27584422.jpeg

Still need to do cladding but will do that last. Question, i have stained under the decking boards and even used deck flashing 😮
Am i fine to begin staining the top or let it weather (been approx 3 weeks so far) use deck clean etc? Or is there a test i can do on the surface?

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects