Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Stairs spiral fire escape maintenance

Lou2
Just Starting Out

Stairs spiral fire escape maintenance

image.jpg

 Where to begin? In an Auckland lockdown I have decided our stairs need some work. Novices but we have the time and energy to do. Would appreciate any guidance on best way to tackle the job. Thank you 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Stairs spiral fire escape maintenance

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Lou2. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your question about painting your spiral staircase.

It looks like this is just about the right time for a new coat of paint for your staircase. Looking at the photo you posted the top base coat has been stripped away and you're down to your primer coat. The staircase looks to be in good condition and I see no rust spots or areas of deterioration. I recommend using a Josco Hand Brush 4 Row Long Handle Stainless Steel in combination with Flexovit Sandpaper Roll for Painted Surfaces 100mm x 1m 240 Grit. Your objective is to remove all the loose and chipping paint from the surface of the staircase and the surrounding areas including the handrail.     

I suggest using an Ozito 1/4 Sheet Orbital Sander to go over the entire surface area of the staircase. It's not necessary to sand to the base metal of the staircase. What you need is to give the primer a very rough surface to adhere to. When everything has been sanded down, wash the staircase in soap and water while scrubbing it with an Oates Corner Scrub Brush to remove all the dust and paint debris.

When the staircase is totally dry, I recommend using the White Knight 1L Grey Rust Guard Quick Dry True Bite Primer Paint. Paint all exposed surfaces with this primer to provide maximum protection for your staircase. I suggest using White Knight Rust Guard 1L White Gloss Epoxy Enamel Paint tinted in your preferred colour for your base coat. Allow the paint to totally cure before using the stairs.

Please keep us updated with your progress, it would be great if you could provide us with photos while you're repainting the staircase.

If you need further advice or information, please let us know.

Eric 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects