Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Timber scarcity - to what extent?

Bundaboy
Having an Impact

Timber scarcity - to what extent?

I had a very disheartening trip to my local (40km) Bunnings on Thursday. For quite some time now they have stopped stocking mgp10 structural/non-structural framing timber. This is devastating to me as it is my go to material for endless projects, but in this case I went to get some 3m h4 perfect round only to find it is also now not stocked. Far worse than that I was told that with a few months there will be practically no landscape timber available at all. This was explained to be as a result of the fires and covid.

I know there are people on this site "in the know" with Bunnings and I am wondering if they can confirm this situation and to what extent it is likely to worsen?

Cheers.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Timber scarcity - to what extent?

Hi @Bundaboy,

I'll reach out via PM to gather further details on your local store and the products you are having difficulty sourcing. I'll then be able to get back to you with some information regarding your questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Many thanks for your patience @Bundaboy 

I have been able to get some clarification regarding your concerns. We do have MGP10 structural grade Pine available at your local Bunnings store. It's now H2 rated which means it's termite-resistant, making it the most popular choice for internal structural purposes.

Regarding the round posts, they are currently out of stock at your local store as it is having a refit in a few weeks. We apologise for any confusion or inconvenience caused. Our team typically works with suppliers to source adequate stock levels and ensure Bunnings offers the widest range of products for our customers. We look forward to having these back in stock as soon as possible.

We appreciate your feedback, and have also passed it on to our Merchandise Team. Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Sorry about what appears to be a late reply. I did reply but maybe forgot to send it off.
Thanks for that Mitchell, yes I was aware that they started stocking H2 treated pine in lieu of untreated, but treated pine is unsuitable for 95% of my usage, so that doesn't help much (but does confirm that they now don't stock untreated framing material).

The 3 metre h4 pole shortage does seem to be area wide - have been told it's due to the fires and also due to lockdowns where people are getting stuck into landscaping projects.

Cheers.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects