Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Timber screen - how to revive appearance?

Mick
Cultivating a Following

Timber screen - how to revive appearance?

Not sure what to do with some timber screening we have on the balcony of the deck. It was stained when installed and I was assured by the painter that we could just leave it to gray off but it has weathered unevenly and now looks terrible - see attached photo. It gets lots of sun.

I think the painter has used the wrong product on it. I assume now we need to strip back before oiling? If anyone has any suggestions it would be appreciated. 

Cheers,

Mick

Timber.JPG

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Re: Timber screen - how to revive appearance?

Not sure what has been used but you are going to need to sand it back so the oil can penetrate evenly and you get a good result. If you want a more natural look make sure you use a clear decking oil - no stain. 

SoMuch2Do
Cultivating a Following

Depends how large the screen is, but if you do sand it back and oil it, be prepared to re-oil every other year, especially if you get a lot of sun. Once remedied you could always add a vertical planter- but make sure you can remove it for re-oiling.

Unfortunately for anything other than painting over it all, you have some sanding to do. To get the true colour out of the stain or oil, you will need to sand it back completely to the raw timber. In other words there should be no sign of the original stain. I would suggest using a random orbit sander. Then you will need to hand sand the recessed joins. It looks like very nice timber so it will be worth the effort for the results.
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for sharing your advice @Nailbag. Let me also extend a very warm welcome to Workshop. It's great to have you join the community. Looking forward to seeing more of your posts soon.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nailbag
Having an Impact

Thanks Jason
pursya
Growing in Experience

Before going down the sanding route, you may want to try a decking cleaner.
Such as Wattyl Weatherguard Decking Cleaner.
It is used to take the tannins or previous oiling out of the timber before applying new oil.
I'm not sure how you would use it vertically though as it is normally left on for a time before scrubbing in then washing away.
Good luck
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for sharing some advice @pursya. Much appreciated.

A very big welcome to Workshop. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your posts soon. I hope you find Workshop to be informative, inspirational and enjoyable.

Thanks again,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects