Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Timber window frames - how to restore and maintain?

danap
Just Starting Out

Timber window frames - how to restore and maintain?

Hi,

Outside of window frames look like the pictures.

I am not sure how they have been treated in the past.

What can I do to restore and maintain this please? Step by step instructions would be much appreciated. I am very new at this.
Thank you

IMG_5787.JPG

IMG_5788.JPGIMG_5786 2.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Timber window frames - how to restore and maintain?

Hello @danap 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about restoring and maintaining your window. 

If you are planning to re-stain your window frame, the entire assembly will need to be sanded down back to wood. I suggest investing in an electric sander to cut down the sanding time. The cracked seal you see going around the windowpane is known as Linseed oil putty. Looking at its condition I recommend removing it and applying a new seal.

I suggest having a look at these discussions - How to replace putty around timber windows? by @lisajk and How to vanish and stain timber window and door trims? by @charliebohl The tool suggested to spread the putty is called a Monarch 38mm Putty Knife. The flat angled head is perfect for spreading the putty.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects