Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Verandah makeover

john304
Getting Established

Verandah makeover

The old back verandah slab had moved and cracked and looked terrible. After several quotes for a deck ,I decided to have a crack at it myself. Never tackled anything of this size before.

The Bunnings team at Munno Para couldn't have been more helpful.

Verandah.JPG

IMG_1705.JPGIMG_1711.JPGIMG_1716.JPGIMG_1720.JPGIMG_1722.JPGIMG_1730.JPGIMG_1738.JPGIMG_1745.JPGIMG_1761.JPGIMG_1784.jpg 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: verandah make over

Hello @john304

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your verandah makeover.

What an inspirational low-level deck build. Not only did you save on having to have the slab broken and removed, but you've managed to hide it with your beautiful low-level deck. Did you run into any difficulties while assembling the decking frame? It looks like such a huge undertaking, how long did the entire build take? Can you also please tell us the overall dimensions of the low-level deck.

This is such a great low-level deck project and I think is a perfect candidate for this year's DIY July competition. Would you like me to enter you in? 

Again, thank you for sharing your beautiful verandah makeover.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
john304
Getting Established

Thanks Eric, the size is 8mtrs x4mtrs, I-had to step the deck down due to the original slab sloping too much, which means it would be too high at one end if kept at one level. Also had to trim some joists as the slab sloped away from the house to maintain a clearance,the build took a little longer than expected, about 4 weeks. That would be awesome for this 72 year old to be entered in the July competition,

regards,

John

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @john304,

We've entered your project in our competition. Good luck!

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects