Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Wanting suggestions for slightly sloped sideyard?

idleman
Getting Established

Wanting suggestions for slightly sloped sideyard?

This is one of my sideyard. About 1.8m x 12.5m. The entire street has a slopy aspect in successive homes, so I'm on the lower side w.r.t my neighbour. I have just cleaned up weeds and thinking to put a weedmat , some pegs and top it over with some ki-karma 20mm salt and pepper gravel. Worried a bit about the slopy aspect and gravel rolling inward to the house; looked at gravel locks, too expensive.

Option 1 Can I just put an aluminium gravel edge 2 inches before the bricks, and fill the gravel in.

Option 2 Can I level the slope without affecting the neighbour and going beyond termite barrier.

Am open to any inexpensive solutions please 🙂

IMG_20240317_175219.jpg

IMG_20240317_174725.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Wanting suggestions for slightly sloped sideyard?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @idleman. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about a sloped side yard.

I'd suggest taking this opportunity to try and minimise the slope as much as possible. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the retaining wall doesn't go too deep, but you are good at least lowering the ground to the bottom of the lowest sleeper. You could level the area entirely, but that depends on how high the concrete footers are for the retaining wall posts. Ideally, it would be great to establish a level similar to what I've marked below. Additional sleepers can be attached to the wall once you've lowered the soil's height to prevent undermining.

Alternatively, you could dig a trench next to the house wall and install draincoil. Backfill this trench with drainage gravel and install a one-row high retaining wall 100mm out from the house wall. You'll then be able to shift soil from the right to the left to level the area.

Once you have a level area it will really open up the functionality and options to choose from. Check out our Top 10 most popular side yard projects.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @idleman 

Here is a photoshopped picture of your side yard with a paved walkway in pebbles to give you inspiration and an idea of what it might look like.

Eric

gardenA.jpg

Thanks @MitchellMc 🙂

idleman
Getting Established

Thanks @EricL 🙏

Hi @MitchellMc 

I've started levelling out the side yard. Regrading the drain coil, am planning to get 65mm one. Wondering, how do I connect the drain coil to storm water. There are a couple of storm water inlets, but the mouths both of them will be at ground level, should I engage a plumber to put a hole into the storm water a feet below and connect.

The third option will be to just leave it on the downhill slopy backyard and see in rainy season if the drain coil actually emits large quantities of water that it needs to be connected to a storm water pipe.

Any advise please 🙂

IMG_20240330_090120.jpg

IMG_20240330_090214.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That looks great @idleman!

I'd certainly install the drain coil now. You can monitor it and see, but it would be best to connect to the stormwater line below the surface level. Once the drainage is sorted, you will be free to landscape the space.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects