Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What do I need to bolt the Milano Gazebo kit to merbau decking?

LJ1809
Cultivating a Following

What do I need to bolt the Milano Gazebo kit to merbau decking?

746F649C-0EBA-4A89-BE2D-2F1D845531BA.png

For our little outdoor privacy project we’ve purchased this gazebo kit. We are currently building a GoodTimes 3.34 x 3.34 Merbau deck from Bunnings onto an old gravel patch we had a shed sitting on for a while. I have never dealt with any jobs involving concreting before so we’re going to just use pavers as suggested in the decking kit instructions. We are planning to just bolt this gazebo directly onto the wood for the deck when it’s finished. What sort of bolts would be recommended to use for this job?

kind regards, Lindie

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What do I need to bolt the Milano Gazebo kit to merbau decking?

Hello @LJ1809

It's great that you've decided to go for a concrete slab base. I would just like to offer a few recommendations before you proceed.

• Always have your quote in email form. This will include all the services they will provide from pouring, levelling and finishing. Never be afraid to ask for a detailed work list. It's always an extra service if they have to prepare the formwork, foundation, and drainage. In this manner, you have a clear idea of what you're paying for.
  • Always have your slab with a slope and drain. The slab acts like your roof and re-directs the water and doesn't absorb it. So it's important that the water has someplace to go. The last thing you want is to get a waterlogged garden. 
  • Plan it on paper or computer. Do as much research as possible. This way you'll be able to see what parts you can do yourself. If planned out properly, your slab will provide many years of service.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: What do I need to bolt the Milano Gazebo kit to merbau decking?

Hi @LJ1809,

That quoted cost would generally only cover the material and the truck arriving to your house. You would need to be able to cart it from the truck to your slab site by yourself (for 1m3 of concrete that is a lot of wheelbarrows to shift). 

You will also need substantial steel reinforcement for a slab that size as well as solid formwork that can withstand the weight of all that concrete. 

The actual screening and finishing of your slab would be achievable, but I would recommend getting a complete quote including inclusive of the pouring snd finishing of the slab.

An easier DIY alternative would be to pour individual footings for your current deck supports to rest on, and for each of the posts on your gazebo.

Either way, concrete foundations of some sort will provide a much more stable footing for your deck and gazebo, and will mean you don't need to worry about them slowly sinking into the backyard. 

Best of luck with your project!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects