Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is a good water repellent coating to use over paint?

mh
Finding My Feet

What is a good water repellent coating to use over paint?

What should I use to provide a water repellent top-coat over an already painted balcony handrail? To help the water to bead and run off. Thanks.

IMG_20210206_105021.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What is a good water repellent coating to use over paint?

Hi @mh,

If the handrail is perfectly level and flat, then I believe you'll have trouble trying to get water to run off it. You might find a product to assist with the water beading, perhaps similar to what we use on car windscreens. However, without a slope, the beads will sit there.

Are you finding the water sits there for an extended amount of time after rain, and it concerns you? Or is it just more for convenience, as the handrails can't be lent on after the rain?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks. Yes just for convenience and also to hopefully protect the paint. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@mh,

As long as the paint does not have any cracks or defects, having the water sit on the surface will have no effect. All exterior grade paints are designed to have water sit on them for extended periods.

You might like to consider keeping a squeegee in a handy location near the door, a quick wipe down would remove the water if you need to use the balcony.

Let me mention @TedBear to see if they have any suggestions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for the mention. I agree with your own comment @MitchellMc  as I don't know of a product that would provide a permanent coating.

Perhaps spraying the handrail with a product to break down the water's surface tension, such as Rain-X Repellent Treatment for car windscreens, available from car product suppliers would help...

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/rain-x-rain-x-original-repellent-treatment---207ml/372889.html?c...

(I haven't tried it for that use, but if it works on the tough environment of a windscreen, I imagine that it should last a while on a handrail.)

It isn't a permanent coating though, so it would need to be topped up occasionally..

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects