Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is a suitable bird deterrent for a corrugated roof?

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

What is a suitable bird deterrent for a corrugated roof?

Helppppp!  Indian Mynah's have taken over a neighbour's tree.  🤯😤

Has anyone in the Bunnings Community seen or made a successful bird deterrent to fit onto a corrugated roof?  

20230624_161048.jpg

 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Bird deterrent

Hi @Tyro,

Where does the corrugated roof come into the equation? Is that your roof, and it's close to the tree they are in? Are we talking about a nesting pair, or have a flock of them made the tree their local chillout zone? 

You might like to check out this discussion on How to keep blackbirds out of my garden? There are a number of useful suggestions and products in there.

Is it a large tree? If not, then would the neighbour consider covering it with bird netting until they move on? Alternatively, you could try spraying the whole tree with Scat bird and animal repellant, but that also affects dogs, cats and possums.

I believe the birds have taken up residency due to it being a convenient location. If your neighbour doesn't mind, you could always give them a swift spray down with a garden hose and jet nozzle whenever they land. It will be a battle, but eventually, they'll move on to somewhere else.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mithcell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @MitchellMc 

The corrugated roof is indeed mine.  I think they  regard my roof as their kitchen table come  watchtower!  I get annoying pecking sounds from the food morsels as well as the chatter of a particularly raucous guard. 

It's a short distance from the tree and gets uninterrupted full sun. 

The tree is too big for netting.  When I saw it was deciduous I was hoping they would go.  Then I could block up the nest holes.  But they are staying. 

Started with 2 birds, and on my last count about 2 weeks ago there are 30 or so.

If it were any other bird I would try all of your suggestions, but those tricks might work once or twice with Mynah's, or until they realise they are harmless.

I'm thinking of getting flexible wire and making something similar to a 'Bird Spider'.   But just have to track down suitable wire!  I need about 6 units so commercial ones are beyond my budget.  If interested, a 6ft model is also available:  

https://birdcontrolaustralia.com.au/shop/marine-and-boat-bird-deterrent/bird-spider-360-4ft/

Thank you for all of your  suggestions.  I found the discussion on the blackbird problem  enlightening, so thanks for including that!  It's amazing to read about the solutions people come up with!  

Cheers

🤗

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Tyro,

You might like to look at this Jack 1.60mm x 15m Stainless Steel 304 Grade Tie Wire. It's quite rigid and should support its own weight over that distance. It's also a bit springy, so it will probably bounce around in the breeze like I presume that deterrent is designed to do. I'd love to see a 6ft version up on your roof. Be careful, though, as people might think it's to prevent secret alien mind-reading waves from entering your house. You certainly don't want to end up being that neighbour. ðŸ˜‚ ðŸ‘½

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: What is a suitable bird deterrent for a corrugated roof?

Good morning @Tyro 

Are the birds getting up under the eves or between the gutter and the tin roof? I was thinking of either A spiky strip like this Anti bird spike strip or even an infill if you can reach the area easily Sun tuff corrugated infill

Something I have suggested to my mum as she has birds that like chewing her handrails is to spray WD40 on them. They seem to have left the timber alone afterwards. I am not sure its the wisest thing but it could work. (have used it to stop my dog gnawing on a timber gate even) Feel kinda bad but figure a taste and they are gone.

Dave

Hi @MitchellMc 

... and how do  you know I'm not? 🤓🤡🛸  ðŸ¤£ðŸ¤£ðŸ¤£

Thanks for the link for the wire.  I think 1.6mm might be a bit stiff, and perhaps the 0.7mm too.  The birds will assume I like them and am  providing them with some fun perches!  I'm going to have a look at music wire as I think I might need coiled wire?

Thank you for your wit ... you've reminded me that I need to buy some more al-foil ... 🙃🤪

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects